Can I Uninstall?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacRock, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MacRock macrumors newbie

I thought I was going to like Lion but I am having my doubts now.

Is there a way to UNinstall this OS and revert back to Snow Leopard?:confused:

Thanks for any input.

MacRock

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I understand their maybe some confusion since this was downloaded from the Mac App Store, but this is an operating system, you can't just uninstall and go back.

You'll need to insert your Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc and perform an "Erase and Install" (Since Snow Leopard is an upgrade to Leopard, you won't be able to install Snow Leopard on top of Lion). Don't forget to back-up all of your data, if you have Time Machine enabled then the restore process will go a lot quicker.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No,

You'll have to reinstall Snow Leopard, there's no way to "undo" the installation of Lion.

4. MacRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard

Yes, I tried to use my Leopard discs but, of course, they are not compatible and Lion refuses to read the disc. I am told I have to erase my main partition with the Lion and do a clean install of Leopard. Any more suggestions?

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

that's how a reinstall works. You wipe the disk and re-install. If you are using time machine you will be able to restore from before you installed lion after you install SL

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Perform a Time Machine backup and then remove your Lion part ion and reboot with the Snowy OS Installation disk. Once Snowy finishes, restore from your Time Machine backup.

7. MacRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Not using Time Machine

I haven't been using Time Machine as a back-up. Long story, but I am a pro photographer and many drives come in and out of service so it hasn't been practical.

(I am using it now... say it will take "about a day" to back up!)

So if I use it now with the Lion already running, does that help anything? Also, since Snow Leopard was an update to Leopard, don't I have to install Leopard first?

Thank you for your help.

TR

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you set up Time Machine now and let it back up (it will take a while if you have a lot)....then re-install SL and use the time machine backup...the only problem you will have is that you will have shortcuts for the new things but they will have a question mark on them since they don't exist. Just delete them and your ok.

I had to do this with SL....I installed from the disk, restored from time machine and I had a phantom app store icon...once I updated sl it fixed it. Since you don't want Lion tho, you can just remove them.

9. MacRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Input

Yes, thank you for the input. I thought I could transfer my Eudora contacts but I can't and also I can't use ANY of Mac Office. So Lion is useless to me until they fix these problems. Pages is OK, but Word and those MS programs are too universal to drop.

Any other input gladly accepted.

MacR

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Yeah, no office support yet. But it is to be expected that there would be some applications that wont work. Windows has less of this because instead of changing or re-writing code they just dump code on top of code...that's why it is so horrible. Apple does near entire re-writes every few years (Snow Leopard was basically re-written from the ground up)....so when they do this it will cause some compatibility issues.

As long as 3rd party vendors release a patch (and they have had more than ample time to come up with one...since GM has been out for a few months!) all will be well. Usually takes a little time tho!

11. MacRock thread starter macrumors newbie

Eudora

Eudora posted a couple of sentences basically saying good bye to its user going to Lion. Didn't sound promising for them.

MacR

12. skunnykart macrumors regular

Use CCC carbon copy cloner or whatever it is called.

Make a bootable backup copy of your whole hard drive on an external usb hdd. Keep it safe somewhere.

Try Lion.

If you are disappointed with Lion, hook up your external usb hdd.
    Hold the option key while your machine starts. Boot into the external hdd.
    Use CCC to copy the contents of the external to your sys hard drive.

13. MacRock thread starter macrumors newbie

already there

Hi Skunny,

Lion is already on one computer.

I want to get rid of it. I tried and don't like.

Thanks anyway.

MacR