Can I unlock and remain on AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by analytical44, Jun 12, 2008.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

Just trying to figure out if I can unlock my phone and continue using my AT&T account with no complications. I apologize if this has been addressed before, I searched the forums and couldn't find a direct answer. I want to unlock my phone so I can sell it but I still need to use it until that happens. I just wanna make sure I can unlock without any problems and I'll just clear my data when I eventually sell. Thanks.

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

short answer yes, long answer...yes. unlocking doesn't bar you on ATT, it just lets you use other GSM sim cards in addition.

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

The poster above me is right. There are no complications.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm quite happily unlocked any on AT&T. Admittedly, it's the GoPhone plan, but it's all good ;)

5. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

I too am unlocked and using AT&T without complications. I have an "official" iPhone AT&T plan and all features (including Visual Voicemail) work 100% with my AT&T SIM.

When I travel abroad, I simply swap out my AT&T SIM for a local SIM in the country I am visiting in order to enjoy much lower rates as well as a local phone number in that country.

6. brandonzar macrumors regular

I have the iPod Touch now and I would really like to use it as a PDA but the alarms on it can't be heard when it is in my pocket. Also, my contract with AT&T is almost up (not on an iPhone) and I really don't want to sign up for another two years of phone service that I rarely use so I'm thinking of doing the gophone thing with an iPhone to solve both problems. Can you still do data, and at what cost? Also, (this one would require some speculation) would I still be able to do this with the new iPhone? I know that it isn't officially supported but could I just buy the phone at full price and unlock it? Really I wouldn't mind getting the old iPhone, but I don't really want a used one and new ones are pretty scarce these days.

7. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information, much appreciated