Can I unlock carrier without jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yaddam205, Jul 28, 2010.

1. yaddam205 macrumors member

Can I unlock carrier without jail breaking?

Cheers.

2. yaddam205 thread starter macrumors member

Alrighty, thank you.

Which release would you say is most stable for 3.1.3?

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is only one choice for 3.1.3 and that is Spirit.

4. douflag macrumors member

Technically, you could. The only way to do so would be to obtain the unlock sequence from the carrier. It's nearly impossible to get with AT&T. It's not as hard with international carriers.

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Yea, At&t phones won't unlock it, nor will other carriers (at least in HK) unlock an at&t phone. Don't quote me on this but I think ATT is one of the few carriers that carries the locked phone?

My dad has a 3GS 3.1.3 from ATT waiting to be unlocked whenever the new unlock comes out.

6. The General macrumors 601

jailbreak with spirit, install ultrasn0w, done.

no idea why you're waiting.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

AT&T will never release the unlock code, the phone is exclusive to only them, they say, if you want to unlock it, jailbreak it and unlock it that way. they will never release the code even if the iPhone goes to another carrier.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no unlock code to be released.
    Iphones dont use that type of system like every other cellphone.
    They are officially unlocked thru itunes by Apple per carrier request.

9. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

No such thing as an "unlock code" I have no idea how this stuff gets spread around.

10. andy071202 macrumors member

So if I finish my contract with orange and decide that they are no longer doing the best deals I cant get a PAC code from them
    are you sure? 100% sure on this

11. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

Yeah if you go onto thier website it tells u can. Ive seen it on there and on 02 website if your contracts up they do it for free

12. douflag macrumors member

Never say never. Didn't the Canadian cell providers lock all their iPhone handsets as well? And now with a new ruling by their judicial system, prevent these companies from locking their phones and forces them to unlock phones under certain circumstances?

I think there's also a case going on right now in the US where people are trying to get cell providers to unlock their phones.

13. andy071202 macrumors member

Thx

is the uk law different from us and other countries on the locking and unlocking of a phone?

Surely apple has the code to do this for the device I'd etc...

In short what I'm saying is it legal for the cell providers to hold back this code?
    Because when I got my contract it clearly states that the device is not part of my contract
    again if your contract says this then surely after your contract expires you the customer has the right to choose which cell provider u wish

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, you can't get a PAC code. You CAN request an unlock, which will be done by Apple through iTunes after a request from your carrier. No code is involved at all.

See above. Nobody said that carriers couldn't unlock the phone, just that there was no such thing as an iPhone unlock code. iPhone unlocking just isn't done with a PAC code.

15. douflag macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up. I too thought there was a method to unlock with a PAC code.

16. andy071202 macrumors member

ok thx by my way of saying PAC i was meaning a way to get it unlocked
    altho i did use PAC but i was mearly saying as if tho the other member was saying there is no way to unlock an iphone from your carrier

your explanation was in full and indepth detail and answers alot of questions
    thank you