Can I unlock full-price AT&T iPhone 6 on Day 1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entlassen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. entlassen macrumors member

Unlike T-mobile's full-price no-contract phone (which comes unlocked), AT&T's full-price no-contract phone is locked. Does anyone know from experience how easy it is to unlock an AT&T full-price no-contract phone? Can you call AT&T the day you get the phone and they'll unlock it, since you bought the phone in full? Or do you have to jump through some hoops to unlock it?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Yes, if you have an att account login. You wont call you will do it online. May take a couple of days.

3. meihcydna macrumors regular

I actually did a live chat and he submitted a request for me. The next day, I got an email saying it's been unlocked. But it seems like you may have to do a restore via iTunes for the unlock message to appear.

4. chukwithak macrumors member

Yes. The BEST way to do it, is to purchase the phone VIA NEXT agreement. Sign the paperwork and check out. You then have paid the taxes for the phone and owe the total cost of the device. After checking out, you then tell the employee you want to pay off the installments on your phone. They can do this immediately as I have done it for MANY customers. Upon paying off the installments. You can then go to att.com/deviceunlock and request for the unlock activation. They say it will take 24.48 hours but there is usually an immediate response. With everything going on and all the turnover in computer information, the safe answer is to expect it will take 2-3 days if there are any hang ups, but it is possible to get everything done in the same day if you started the purchase first thing in the morning.

You can OUT RIGHT buy a phone from ATT but they usually go against it because then the employee gets no commission for helping you and thats how they get paid. Doing the above method is the best for both sides. If you choose to pay out right, expect to get little help from the employee as far as unlocking.

5. stract macrumors member

The cost of the unlocked t-mobile phone is $649. If I paid my AT&T installment balance in full, that cost would be $749. So an extra hundred dollars doesn't sound win-win to me. Is there a difference in specs between the t-mobile and AT&T device?

6. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Same Phone. take t mobile sim out put in att sim :cool:

7. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

I don't know why you're talking about an employee as if I were buying the phone in person. I'm pre-ordering online today, along with everyone else on this forum.

8. chukwithak macrumors member

Because you never mentioned that in your original thread. You need to go to the device unlock link after receiving it.

9. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'm assuming I can do this on Day 1? I don't have to fulfill any other obligations with them before I can unlock?

10. tangfish macrumors member

tangfish

Why's that? I have orders for both versions you mention and they're the same price

11. chukwithak macrumors member

If the phone is paid for in full and locked, then no. The only thing ATT requires is that the phones are paid for in all situations.

12. lovelybai macrumors member

If you get the phone from Apple Store, it is unlocked based on the experience of iphone 5 and iphone 5s. I guess the same thing on iphone6