Can I unlock my iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I want to get rid of AT&T and switch to TMobile. I know that I will be stuck on 2G/EDGE speeds with Tmobile but the reception from AT&T in Boston is so terrible, I don't care.

I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS iOS 4.2.1. Can I unlock it? If I need to upgrade or downgrade my iOS software, please let me know and I'll follow whatever steps you provide.

Thank you!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

As per your info, your 3GS has baseband of 05.15.04 which can't be unlocked with Ultrasn0w. So, the only way you can unlock your phone is to installed an Ipad baseband. However, there are consequences for going through this route. You can google search on these consequences and then decide you want to go this route or not.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, the only downside is it disables your GPS?

Are there other ways around this, e.g., updating iOS4.2.1 to something else and then unlocking? I do have shsh - doesn't that mean I can get a native iOS and unlock/jb from that?

I remembered to save them when I did a jailbreak...

Thank you in advance for your help.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

SHSH blobs allow you to downgrade firmware to previous version. However, baseband can't be downgradable and software unlock is base on baseband. So, even you downgrade your iphone to a lower version, you can't downgrade your baseband and therefore, you can't unlock your phone.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK.

So two questions:

1) There is no way I can change iOS versions and/or change my baseband? Even if I go to an official iOS version?

2) Is the only downside to my broadband and doing an unlock is the lack of GPS? Am I missing anything else?

I can't believe that I can't switch my broadband if I updated iOS to an official iOS version directly from Apple.... :(