Can I unlock my iPhone 3GS?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I want to get rid of AT&T and switch to TMobile. I know that I will be stuck on 2G/EDGE speeds with Tmobile but the reception from AT&T in Boston is so terrible, I don't care.

I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS iOS 4.2.1. Can I unlock it? If I need to upgrade or downgrade my iOS software, please let me know and I'll follow whatever steps you provide. I did recently officially upgrade my iOS software if that matters.

Thank you!

XskylineX

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
You can get it officially unlocked through AT&T if you just give them a call or talk to an online representative. Tell them you want to unlock your phone and they will ask for your IMEI number. After they process it, you can restore your phone and it will be unlocked forever.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Even if I no longer have an account with them? I closed att about 6 months ago...

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I have 05.15.04. Does that change things? In the past, it meant I had to use iPad bb and I'd lose GPS...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Find a friend or relative who is a current AT&T customer. Have that person call with the IMEI of your phone and request the unlock.
Takes less than 2 hours for the unlock to be enabled.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Find a friend or relative who is a current AT&T customer. Have that person call with the IMEI of your phone and request the unlock.
Takes less than 2 hours for the unlock to be enabled.
So what does the friend say, they have an iPhone that they purchased elsewhere that they want unlocked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.