Can I update from iOS 5 GM to the actual release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by louis0nfire, Oct 6, 2011.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about installing the iOS 5 GM to my iPhone today, but what happens when iOS 5 is released to the public next week? Do I update to that then?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Not if it is the same build number, which most likely it will be... if the release is somehow newer or different, itunes will have you update to the release.

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

So the GM is the same exact thing everyone else is getting next week?

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

at this point yes but if Apple release a second GM release to address a bug then no there will be a second GM and that could be the final build.... either way you will be fine for updating

6. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

My question is then, where is the cards app and friends? Is that 4s exclusive?

7. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I guess the October 12th release date was rather ambiguous.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

From watching the presentation, I got the impression those would be apps in the App Store, not native in the OS. Presumably they'll be in the App Store on the 12th when the OS is officially released.

9. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but the last 2 GM's (iOS 3 and iOS 4) have both had time bombs will expire where as the public builds don't expire. Even though they are the same build number the version released to devs still expires so an update will have to happen.

10. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Cards and Find My Friends apps will be available on both 4 and 4S, both launching on October 12th.

Siri will be exclusive to 4S.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks. I thought this has been the case sometimes but got soundly rebutted on a different thread.

I notice that TinyUmbrella shows the "Installed Firmware Version:" as "5.0gm" on both my ipad2 and iphone4 though I don't know if it's being read from the devices as that or if it's some construct from TU. I've seen enough posts claiming of md5 hash differences between some prior GM's and public releases to plan to restore with the public release after it's out.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Same goes for newstand

will the option of buying new tones also be on october 12th?

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

GM stands for Gold Master. Gold Master is the same thing as RTM (Release to Manufacturing). That means this is the copy that will be loaded onto every phone and if it were physically distributed, this would be the copy burned onto CDs, Flash Drives, etc.

That means if it had a time bomb, every iPhone 4S that shipped would have the same time bomb. It makes 0 sense.

Release Candidates are sometimes the final editions, but do contain time bombs or other restrictions (or some debugging code). The idea being that if there are no showstopper bugs found, it can be recompiled as the final and sent out as a GM.

But GM/RTM IS the final copy. It will be byte for byte identical.

Asking if you have to upgrade on release date is like downloading a leaked Album and asking if you will have to buy the real one when it hits the stores. ITS THE SAME THING.

The only possibility is if a bug is found now, in which case it may be corrected with the release. However, this would mean that anyone getting the iOS 5 devices would have to also perform an update as they have the current GM already loaded.

Chances are they have been loading the GM onto new iPhones and iPads and iPods, etc. for several days before announcing the GM and releasing it to developers, and they are not about to bust open all those boxes to reload the software again.

They have MILLIONS of devices to ship out so that they ARRIVE in stores and are ready for sale within the next week or so, so the idea that they will change the code and redo all those devices (or wait until the last minute to load them) is absurd from a logistics standpoint.

Just in case anything is unclear the iOS 5 you download right now as the GM is exactly the same software new phones will come with next week in stores.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    It has been confirmed by the JB scene also.
    If you're not a Dev testing your apps stay away from the leaked GM.
    You will have to restore to the later released 5.0 anyway.

15. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

...Crap, so there's a time bomb and I'll have to restore all over again? I just put the GM on my iPhone 4...:( Oh well.

16. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The time bomb is a minuscule change and doesn't even change the build number, but it is there. The GM is not, and has not been, exactly the same. Do you really think that when Apple ships out new iPhones that they just give the manufacture a link to the developer portal and say "Download the latest release" no. They don't even have the 4S in the portal so you really have no idea what build they are putting on the 4S. What if they aren't even using the same build like they did with the verizon phone?

Everyone who says that it is the same as the release is either guessing or making assumptions because that isn't the case.

17. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Wrong, no time bombs at all. GM releases are the same, with the exception of 4.0 that included Game Center that was deleted from the official build.

----------

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about, there is not time bomb on GM releases.