Can I update my 3GS to iOS 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Alvi, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I have an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.1 with the 05.13.04, It is supposedly an MC Model, which should have the new bootrom, however I checked before and I think it appeared to have the old one.

I want to update it to iOS4.2 and still be able to Unlock, can PwnageTool do that yet?... is there another way?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well the dev team mentioned only for the 3GS for old bootrom, so I dunno..

3. lucifiel, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

4. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Pfff.. It seems that I will have to check again what Bootrom I have just to make sure

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I just attempted to install a custom 4.2.1 on my 3GS and iTunes gave me an error, so I'm staying at 4.1 for the moment.

6. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I guess I'll wait for something more official, I just checked and i have the old bootrom, 4.2 is basically new ringtones and some other thingies I don't wan't to risk my Phone capabilities for.

7. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I have an old boot rom and I updated my iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1. I ran redsn0w to jailbreak. It worked. There are some programs that didn't run (AT&T Logo and some issue with Activtor).

The important ones, LockInfo, SBSettings and MyWi appear to be working fine.

The phone was acting strange in the begining with some lockups but it appears to have settled down after doing a reboot.

8. achtungbaby macrumors newbie

I updated to 4.2.1. and used the redsn0w and all is well. Was pretty easy actually so kudos to the dev teams. Only issue I have is BiteSMS is not yet working with 4.2 and will crash your springboard. I cannot get over how terrible the stock messaging system is from Apple especially given what a text-centric world we live in. Major fail on their part.

9. OhioLefty macrumors regular

I have an old BootROM as well on my 3GS 16GB (week 29 in serial number, bought it new in 08/09).

Would you be willing to help with instructions and links to how you did your update and Jailbreak?

Right now I am on iOS v3.1.2 and Modem Firmware 5.11.07 and originally JB with blackra1n and unlocked with blacksn0w. Everything has been working great for over a year but I think it's time to update but I want to do it right. I been reading all I can but I'm still not 100% sure what I need to do. I don't have a Mac so I can't do my own IPSW. Just looking to do the right thing once.

Thanks in advance....

10. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Guys.. Sorry to pop this thread back in, but did that official Pwnage tool come out for the Old Bootroms?
    The link lucifiel left hasn't been updated for more than a week now :mad:

11. PinoySaMI macrumors member

PinoySaMI

DO NOT UPGRADE IT TO IPHONE OS4.2. Your baseband will be updated to 05.14.04 and it cannot be unlock using ultrasnow...but you can JB and UN your iphone upgrade it using pwnage OS 4.2.1.