Can I update my iPad to the new version?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gewordenzijn, Nov 13, 2010.

1. gewordenzijn macrumors newbie

I will make this as succinct as possible.

My iPad was originally synced/setup to a Windows PC to which I no longer have access.

I would like to update to the new iOS when it become available and keep my current content, such as songs, etc.

A friend of mine has an iMac. If I tell iTunes to "prevent from syncing manually", is there a way to just grab the update and put it on the device via said iMac?

Am I missing any caveats here? Are there any workarounds (I'm not interested in jail-breaking the device) to help me with my issue?

Thank you in advance.

2. Ksane macrumors regular

You can download the firmware update you want from any number of places then click shift + update in iTunes (I believe it's option+update with a Mac) and browse to wear the pre-downloaded firmware is and select it.
    Remember-it's UPDATE not restore. That'll update you.
    When 4.2 is officially released you'll need iTunes 10.1 which was just releasd.

3. gewordenzijn thread starter macrumors newbie

Confused

If I option click while clicking iTunes, a dialogue box will appear asking me to select a library.

Can't I use the current iMac's iTunes and just sync the update? :confused:

4. Ksane macrumors regular

No, I mean plug the iPad into your computer and click on it when it opens in iTunes (highlight it there on the left) There on the RIGHT pane of iTunes you'll see the 'update' and the 'restore' buttons. THAT'S when you click option and 'update' at the same time and browse to the firmware.
    The firmware's not officially released yet-but when it is you'll need iTunes 10.1 to synch it with. You said the future update, isn't that what you're talking about? Or are you actually trying to install the GM release now?

5. gewordenzijn thread starter macrumors newbie

6. gewordenzijn thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Confused

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

iTunes 10.1 is already out so make sure the iMac has it.
    After iOS 4.2 is relesed to the public, you'll be able to simply connect your iPad and click update in iTunes and iTunes should take care of the rest without losing any data.