Can I update my iPhone on a secondary computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xTRIGGER092x, Oct 12, 2011.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

So, I'm going to be out of town when iOS 5 drops today and won't be able to use my primary computer (the one where all my data is stored). Can I use my secondary computer (a laptop), just to update my iPhone and not have to sync all the content?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No I think it will try to activate it on that computer and may cause issues with syncing music and what not, i.e., losing your music. Best to wait until you get back to where your main computer is

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not Unless

You want all your apps, music and photos removed or changed to the new host computers'

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes you can but you'll be asked to make your secondary machine your main. Any contacts, music, apps, contacts not stored on your laptop + user setting will not restored. But you can re-download apps & iTunes song.

I was in a similar situation when iOS 3 was released. I was curious about the new OS so I updated w/ my secondary & then when I got back home I did a restore w/ my MP to make it my primary again. PITA but worth it b/c the curiosity was killing me.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You can update on any computer just fine. I updated my iPhone 4 on my dads computer and everything was there after the update.

6. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

This happened to me from going from 3->4...everything was saved.

my co worker did it on another PC, and lost everything and had to restore when he got home...so YMMV.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I honestly don't know if this would work (and may be more trouble than it's worth if it does); but couldn't you activate on the secondary computer (assume you're setting up a new phone), then either grab the iPhone folders and transfer them over to the primary and restore from a previous backup from there to get your info on? Again, I'm not sure this would work, but did when I upgraded to SL from when the 4 came out.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes u can!

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Doesn't iTunes make a backup to restore from, before it updates?

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you can update on ANY computer...syncing is where the problems start