Can I update to earlier iOS 8 version?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Userx12, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Userx12 macrumors newbie

Userx12

Hello,

Can anyone tell me where and how I can download and earlier version of iOS 8? (if at all possible)

The current version has more stuff than I want, and I don't have much space. 16GB iphone 5C (currently running latest version of iOS 7).

Thank you very much

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No it's not possible. Apple stopped signing it so the IPSW won't do you any good. Also I'm 99% sure Apple recently made the update snifficently smaller (can some one confirm please :)) so I think it's perfectly safe to update to the current version.

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Get used to it. Apple doesn't want you to have the user experience that you want; they want you to have the user experience that they want.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

It wouldn't be "updating" either, it would be downgrading.

5. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Just to be clear, are you on here as an Android user that's sniping?
    Or an iOS user complaining while still buying iPhones?

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Can I update to earlier iOS 8 version?

I'm confused. The only meaningful changes to iOS 8 since the initial release have been bug fixes and performance tweaks. If you want to update to iOS 8, why would you not want the latest version?

7. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

iPhone user who does not like the way Apple handles upgrades. I'm careful about what iOS i upgrade to. But I shouldn't have to be so cautious.

8. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Google forces Android updates too. Technically you can go back, but you have to wipe your phone. Then the update will just redownload again.

9. Userx12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Userx12

Thanks A lot for your answers.

A few more questions:

Where can I find out how much space iOS 8.2 will take up on my phone.

Also, how can I verify how much space my current ios version is taking up on my phone?

It shows up under Usage inside settings, but I don't know if that number is really true.

**3. If I don't like ios8 I should be able to delete everything from my phone, then do a full restore of my data and iOS 7.1.2. Right??**

(any other ios 8 update know how would be appreciated.)

----------

What are your issues?

10. chrfr macrumors 603

No, it's not possible to go back to 7.1.2, nor can you go to any other version of iOS except 8.2.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

IIRC there's a way to stop future OTA FW updates on Android by disabling certain services. Google services framework is one of them. There maybe another one as well.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Explain please :)

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm sorry but I believe you can't really get the information your looking for in question 1 and 2.

And once you update your balls deep. You can't go back and a restore would not help you because the OS on the phone is not part of the back up. Also a little bit of that update know how ;) you can not take a back up and restore it on a older version of iOS. You could however still take an older back up and restore that but Apple only saves 3 back ups.

Little bit more update know how: If it's space your concerned about I suggest trying a clean install. In my experience clean installs tend to free up a bit of space. Not to much but enough.

Here's how
    1. Back up phone (Settings > iCloud > back up > back up now)
    2. Wipe he phone clean (Settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings)
    3. Just sorta skip though the set up process. Really the only thing you need to do is connect to wifi. For Apple IDs and such just keep pressing skip where ever possibe and set up as new.
    4. Update to iOS 8.
    5. When it's done you may or may not get something that looks like the set up screen you saw earlier (sorry I don't know if you do or don't). If you do again just make sure your connected to wifi and skip through that. Then you whip the phone clean again as you did in step 2.
    6. Actually go through set up process and make sure you restore iphone from the back up you did earlier.
    7. All you stuff will start to load.

PLEASE NOTE: This could leave you with out a phone for a few hours. While updating to iOS 8 you will not have any of the stuff that was on your phone before. As well as once you do go through set up it may take a while to load back all of your apps, music, and photos.