can i upgrade a 4core mac pro from ATI to 8800?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lloydhooson, Aug 13, 2008.

1. lloydhooson macrumors member

Hi there, my work has a mac pro about a year old(2 duel core xeons) and we are wondering if we can upgrade the graphics card from the ATI to a 8800, as we have 3 new mac pros all with 8800 and want all the graphics cards to be similar, if not same spec.

Is this possible? and which graphics card can we use? where in the UK.

Thanks.

Lloyd. :apple:

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yes you can, there is an 8800GT card available for the 2006 Mac Pros. You'd be better off getting one of the new 3870 Mac Edition cards though - its cheaper and its performance in pro applications is far better than the 8800GT. The only thing the 8800GT is better at is game performance in OS X and its lead even there isn't that big.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here you go, this version is ONLY for the 1st generation MacPro's.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB560Z/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

4. lloydhooson thread starter macrumors member

thanks very much for the link. very much appreciated. :apple: :D:D:D

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You're welcomed. :)

6. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

Ati 3870

Hi I have a Mac Pro and want to upgrade the graphics card to the ATI 3870 as the price and performance issues of the nVida card puts me off.

I am based in the UK and can't find the Mac and PC version of this card in any UK based shops. Am I stupid or is this only available in the USA?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Edit: Spanky Deluxe is in Brighton, UK. Maybe he could chime in here. ;)

8. amtctt macrumors regular

I'd guess that it's probably hard to find in most US stores. i think i've only seen it online at a few places.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Look.... Three posts up, there's a link for the online AppleStore, in the UK! Oh, I got mine at the AppleStore here in Japan!! Woot!...

[​IMG]

10. tobyg macrumors 6502a

They were talking about the 3870 (look at the text you quoted) but the picture you posted is an 8800 GT. The OP was asking about the 8800 GT but the post you quoted was referring to a 3870.

Even then, from my experience it's very hard to find either the 1st gen 8800 GT or the 3870 Mac & PC edition in any store (in Chicagoland at least). When the 8800 GT for 1st gen Mac Pro's came out I called every Apple store in the area and they said they probably wouldn't carry that card. I have no idea if they ever started, as I just went to Tiger and bought an 8800 GT and flashed it. Had Apple carried it, they would have gotten my money.