Can I upgrade Baseband only?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MoodyM, Nov 3, 2009.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'm on jailbroken 3.1.2 3GS, but with the old 4.x baseband, which meant I lost my carrier logo.

Now blackra1n is out, I can upgrade the Baseband and still unlock/jailbreak, and this should give me back my carrier logo.

Is there any way to upgrade the baseband to 5.x without actually restoring the whole phone to official 3.1.2, then jailbreaking with blackra1n?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

None that I know.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I believe the only way to get the new baseband is to upgrade to the official firmware.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I concur. :)

5. will1983 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue here ! iam tired of reformating all my mp3 !

6. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

I'm not sure if this would help but I believe you can hold shift and update on iTune or option and update in a Mac and that will basically update your firmware only without deleting anything. Then just rejailbreak with blackra1n. I'm not sure what the side effects are but thats what I did when I updated from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 and so far everything works out great. I didn't want to do a full restore cause of some saves and other stuff I didn't want to bother reinstalling. I'll probably give this a run for the next couple of days and see if any glitches show up but so far everything seems to be pretty smooth.

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Fuzzyband in cydia (search for it) allows you to upgrade or downgrade your baseband. If your bootloader is 5.08 then you can downgrade, but if it's not, you can only upgrade.