Can I upgrade DIRECTLY from OS X 10.7.5 to Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by b2387692, Apr 8, 2017.

1. b2387692 macrumors member

Hello all,

I've read the info quoted below elsewhere and need to confirm, whether or not I can upgrade my Late 2011 Mini & MBP, DIRECTLY from pre-loaded OS X 10.7.5 to Sierra? Or do I need to upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, then OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, etc...first?

2. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE...
    I found the answer at http://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/
    We shall see...

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As noted by Apple, you should be able to upgrade directly. You certainly don't need to install every intermediate version.

4. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    Before upgrading my MBP and Mini Server both running (pre-loaded) Lion 10.7.5 to Sierra 10.12.4, is it recommended to create a bootable installer for either Lion and/or Sierra?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You shouldn't need to, but there's no harm in doing it. It's probably more important to have a backup of your current system.

6. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I saved all my important files and folders from both the Mini and MBP to an external HD, which is connected to the Mini. Now, working on the MBP first, it's my understanding that since Lion 10.7.5 came pre-loaded, I can always do OSX Recovery, if needed so no bootable necessary, there. That said, I've downloaded macOS Sierra and just in case I need it, in the future, I tried to create a bootable usb in Terminal, as shown in the video below and many others but it did not appear to work.

At the Terminal prompt, I entered the Command (sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyInstallerName --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app) and hit enter, then entered my password, as requested but instead of beginning, Terminal looped back and gave me the original prompt, again. I hit Ctrl-C and closed out, then tried again but it still did not work. This time, when Terminal looped back to the original prompt, I re-entered the Command and hit enter. However, terminal did not request password but rather looped directly back to original prompt.

Any Ideas?

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

For you terminal command the Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder and your USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName.

Here is what I have used successfully (my thumb drive is named Untitled):
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

8. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

>>>Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder...DONE
    >>>USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName...DONE

What you used successfully, is exactly the same, as what I used except for your thumb drive name and ending with the following: " --nointeraction".

Hmm?

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It is not required for createinstallmedia to work, but here is what it does:
    --nointeraction : erase the disk pointed to by "--volume" without prompting for confirmation.
    If you run createinstallmedia without "--nointeraction", it will first ask you to confirm to erase the disk before creating your bootable installer disk

10. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks!
    I wish I could get that far...
    Without "--nointeraction", after I enter my password, Terminal keeps looping back to original prompt; like it's starting all over...:confused:

11. CoastalOR, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

A couple of questions.
    Have you tried restarting your Mac recently?
    Is the USB thumb drive formatted for Mac?
    Does the USB thumb drive mount?

12. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I restarted Mac, at least once, this morning before downloading macOS Sierra. Strange thing is now, after downloading macOS Sierra, if I try to restart it I get this, for the first time that I can ever recall, although I did switch to users, to download it:
    [​IMG]

Yes, Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I'm not sure, what do you mean?

13. chrfr macrumors 603

You're getting that because you didn't log out of your other account but instead just switched users. The text in the dialog box explains exactly what is going on.

14. b2387692, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I figured that was the issue with the restart.

I just don't understand, what I'm doing wrong, to make Terminal keep looping back and giving me the original prompt, again."..Hmm?

15. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

16. b2387692, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

OK, after further review, a non-blank administrator password appears not to be my issue, as I entered a real password but thought I was onto something, when I read the following:

That said, I may just have to install Sierra, without the backup bootable, and take my chances.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's possible that createinstallmedia won't run under 10.7. Does anything happen when you simply run:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

You should get some help text.

18. b2387692 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I went ahead and installed Sierra, without the backup bootable, but I saved a copy of the download...
    So far, so good.