Can I Upgrade Early 2011 Macbook Pro RAM Without Voiding Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MetzoPaino, Dec 9, 2012.

1. MetzoPaino macrumors member

Pixelmator and Final Cut Pro X destroy my 13inch early 2011 2.7GHz Macbook Pro with 2GB of page outs. (I realise the laptop isn't best for these tasks, but a RAM upgrade is cheaper than a new laptop).

I'm looking to upgrade the 4GB of RAM to 16GB or 8GB. Would doing so void the warranty?

It seems like a fairly simple upgrade. I know to put the original RAM back in if I go to AppleCare.

Also, the 16GB isn't officially supported, any issues with this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't void the warranty. From the MacBook Pro User Guide:
    Yes, it supports 16GB of RAM. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. MetzoPaino thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up!

So there would be no issues with the full 16GB? Nothing like it running really hot or actually slowing the computer down in some weird way?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None, whatsoever.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Other than the fact that if it goes in for repairs 16gb is an unsupported memory amount per Apple. So if it has to go back I advise swapping back in the original memory.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're correct. Even if the OP only upgraded to 8GB of RAM, I'd still suggest that he keep the original stuff that shipped with the computer just in case it needs to go in for service.