can i upgrade from 3GS to iphone 4 on apples website?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sam011989, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sam011989 macrumors regular

i know that i would be able to order the iphone 4 from apples website if i was creating a new contract or adding a line.

my question is, will I be able to order the iphone 4 on apple's website taking advantage of the early upgrade AT&T has given me, and still keep my unlimited data plan? To make things a little more complicated, I have a FAN# for a discounted plan. If i upgraded through apple's website, will I also be able to keep my discounted plan?

i know this is all possible from AT&T's website, but I don't know if AT&T will offer free shipping on their website.

I'll just pay the shipping if apple doesn't offer the upgrade or keep my discounted plan, but I'd like to avoid it if i can.

Thanks.

2. Krayd2k macrumors member

Yea just click on the option were it says replace a phone witha new phone or something like that I don't remember the correct wording and yes u can keep your unlimited

3. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

4. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

5. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

I've never upgraded an iPhone so I'm a little clueless, but if I get the new iPhone 4, will I have the option to restore my latest backup from my current iPhone?

In other words, is there any way I can preserve the current info on my phone when getting the new one? Such as pictures in the camera roll, app settings, etc.?

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

when u order on line they ask for the phone u are upgrading then when u get the phone u connect it to itunes and it will go through an activation process (this just activates your sim and putts the stuff from your old sim on the micro sim already in your new iPhone 4). then click restore from backup (of your most recent backup) after its activated. once restored u will have your stuff like settings and app data on your new phone.

7. Middiebear macrumors member

Your FAN discount has nothing to do where you buy your phone.

The FAN discount will remain on the account regardless of where you buy the phone.

8. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

ok just checking because AT&T's website sends you through all the steps to adjust your plan. my 3GS is my first iphone and i purchased it from AT&T last year so i don't know how apple does it on their site.

9. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

i know someone said that doing a "restore of backup" restores everything, but does this include old text messages?

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes it does.

11. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet, thanks!