Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
I never upgraded to Snow Leopard, I was wondering if i could upgrade to Lion OSX even though I am still using 10.5.8?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, apple has been forthright in stating that you can only buy 10.7 through the app store and the App store is only available on Snow Leopard

novella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
I thought the whole point of mac upgrades was that you could pick if you wanted to download it or not, and now they are saying for lion Imhave to buy snow leopard just so I can upgrade to lion?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I thought the whole point of mac upgrades was that you could pick if you wanted to download it or not, and now they are saying for lion Imhave to buy snow leopard just so I can upgrade to lion?

Yes, they are saying that in plain grey on white. As they only distribute Lion via the Mac App Store, and the Mac App Store does only work on Macs with Mac OS X 10.6.6 and higher, that is your only option.
Unless you go the illegal route.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Still, the principle is annoying.
I would rather just upgrade the lion straight but instead I have to do a pointless upgrade to snow leopard.

You only have to do it once, as the download includes a DMG you can burn to a DVD or clone to an external HDD or USB flash memory thumb drive, from which you then can install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Btw, to edit your posts, you can use the
edit.gif
button.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
You guys have really gotten cheap... A couple years ago we were paying $100 to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5. Now apple has made it so that you can upgrade from 10.X to 10.7 for $60. You don't think that's why they priced lion at $30? If they released it on disk so that anyone could use it it would have been $100... Suck it up.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

It used to be that Apple never sold "upgrade" discs. All retail OS X discs were the full version and that's why you could skip versions (go from 10.2 to 10.4, for example). But those cost $129 (except for 10.1, which was free).

$60 is a very cheap price for an OS upgrade compared to the prices of previous versions of OS X and Windows.

Tutorer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
You could get Lion from someone else, install it, and then buy it via the Appstore. Technically you would not need it any more, but you would legalize your installation that way.

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but that's how I see it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Or find a friend with a SL mac and download it there. Copy it to a flash drive.

The Apple Store might even let you do this.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Still, the principle is annoying.
I would rather just upgrade the lion straight but instead I have to do a pointless upgrade to snow leopard.

If you purchase Lion (or get it some other way) and download the installer on say a friends Mac. Open package contents and extract the DMG to a disk or USB, you can clean install Lion without going through Snow Leopard.

Problem Solved.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you purchase Lion (or get it some other way) and download the installer on say a friends Mac. Open package contents and extract the DMG to a disk or USB, you can clean install Lion without going through Snow Leopard.

Problem Solved.

Pretty sure you can also upgrade from Leopard to Lion.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

novella said:
Thanks for the help everyone, i guess i'll just have to buy SL!

Good choice. TBH you should have gotten SL years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.