Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Yes

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD12/

Remember that you still need a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bracket.

I also recommend the iMac Service Wedge just to make the repair easier.

https://www.amazon.com/iMac-Two-One-Service-Wedge/dp/B0781GF4MR
I was wondering if there was one that also came with the bracket, but I can't find it so I guess there's not. I could try emailing them to ask. But I wonder if just buying the bracket from amazon would be the same price if it came bundled.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I was wondering if there was one that also came with the bracket, but I can't find it so I guess there's not. I could try emailing them to ask. But I wonder if just buying the bracket from amazon would be the same price if it came bundled.

That, I do not know.

Last edited:

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Go to Apple logo > About This Mac > Memory

How many slots are available?
Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1867 MHz DDR3 memory module. 2 memory slots in use, 2 available. 16 GB installed, so I could have 32 GB total.

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Yes, you can.
Do I have to buy a whole 32 GB or can I just buy another 16 GB and put it in with the existing 16 GB?

Also do you know if it's possible to upgrade the SSD portion of the fusion drive? I don't want to have a fusion drive configuration, I want to break them up and replace the HDD with an SSD, but I was wondering if I could replace the existing SSD for something with more room because I believe the existing SSD is only 24 GB.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Do I have to buy a whole 32 GB or can I just buy another 16 GB and put it in with the existing 16 GB?

You can buy another 16GB.

Also do you know if it's possible to upgrade the SSD portion of the fusion drive? I don't want to have a fusion drive configuration, I want to break them up and replace the HDD with an SSD, but I was wondering if I could replace the existing SSD for something with more room because I believe the existing SSD is only 24 GB.

The SSD that Apple use is proprietary.

Technically, you can replace it and Transcend actually sells it, but it's crazy expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-240GB-JetDrive-Solid-TS240GJDM820/dp/B075H9QLJC/

I don't recommend it.

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
You can buy another 16GB.

The SSD that Apple use is proprietary.

Technically, you can replace it and Transcend actually sells it, but it's crazy expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-240GB-JetDrive-Solid-TS240GJDM820/dp/B075H9QLJC/

I don't recommend it.
It says here that the SSD for my model was produced by Samsung. https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades#hdr-21
Do you know if this one would work? https://beetstech.com/product/solid-state-drive-256gb-655-1858
And do you know if it would be hard to install?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
iMacs before the Late 2015 models only have PCIe 2.0 x2 connections on their SSD drives, the maximum throughput you could expect over an SSD is 800 MB/sec. Apple says it's a 5 Gb/s connection on 2012-2014 models, which in turn chops it down to no more than 625 MB/sec in ideal conditions.

Most modern platter-based hard drives don't push more than 150- 200 MB/sec.

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
iMacs before the Late 2015 models only have PCIe 2.0 x2 connections on their SSD drives, the maximum throughput you could expect over an SSD is 800 MB/sec. Apple says it's a 5 Gb/s connection on 2012-2014 models, which in turn chops it down to no more than 625 MB/sec in ideal conditions.

Most modern platter-based hard drives don't push more than 150- 200 MB/sec.
So what does this have to do with my situation being that I have a Late 2015 iMac?

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Yes, but $211.20 for 256GB is pretty outrageous.

It's four times the cost of a 2.5" hard drive.
So what if I had a Samsung 970 Pro with some sort of external thunderbolt enclosure? Would it run as fast/as well as an internal proprietary PCIe SSD? And do you know of any good thunderbolt enclosures?

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
For mine I would connect the Samsung to a USB3 enclosure. I run two backups, both Kingston Now 300 SSDs, one connected via TB and the second via USB3. Running SuperDuper to make a clone using Smart Backup on each at the same time, one runs the backup one second faster than the other!

JazzyJacck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
For mine I would connect the Samsung to a USB3 enclosure. I run two backups, both Kingston Now 300 SSDs, one connected via TB and the second via USB3. Running SuperDuper to make a clone using Smart Backup on each at the same time, one runs the backup one second faster than the other!
Why not thunderbolt? And also what are some good enclosures? I think my machine uses Thunderbolt 2.

Last edited:

ghbryans

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Note that as of now, you can replace the hard drive with just about anything and you do NOT need the cable. There's a program called Macs Fan Control that will throttle the fan for you based on any number of criteria. I've seen reports of success upgrading 2017 the blade part of fusion drives using adapters, and as of High Sierra, the macOS now supports other than Apple SSDs. Supposedly most NVMe SSDs work, with the exception of Samsung's 970 EVO Plus for some reason.

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
SSDs like the Transcend JetDrive 820 and the OWC Aura Pro X are really really expensive because they are custom NVMe drives made specifically for upgrading Macs. (Obviously, demand for such products are pretty low, hence the higher prices.)

~$600 for 1TB is nuts!

SSDs like the SanDisk Ultra 3D/WD Blue 3D, Samsung 860 EVO, and Crucial MX 500 are much cheaper because they are generic SATA SSDs that pretty much fit most PCs.

Think about it: Generic parts are almost always cheaper than specialized parts.

Funny how one year later can dramatically reduce prices. You can now get that custom OWC Aura for a third of the price now. I recently installed it in my late 2012 iMac and an 8TB WD Red HDD in the HDD location. Both run beautifully. The OWC SDD running under Mojave is giving me 485 MBps writes and 525 MBps reads. The WD Red Drive up to 185 MBps.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Note that as of now, you can replace the hard drive with just about anything and you do NOT need the cable. There's a program called Macs Fan Control that will throttle the fan for you based on any number of criteria. I've seen reports of success upgrading 2017 the blade part of fusion drives using adapters, and as of High Sierra, the macOS now supports other than Apple SSDs. Supposedly most NVMe SSDs work, with the exception of Samsung's 970 EVO Plus for some reason.

All Evo drives work now

BSartist

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
This was a good thread.

I was under the impression that the SSD flash was installed on the HDD in the fusion drive for the late 2015. I guess I’m wrong about that?
I took apart entire iMac and addd m.2 vm e flash drive

And add another Reuther ssd so is I have 2 Tab for is and 2TB for data took me 6 hours carefully to screw up the screen or bend anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.