Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
My current phone line isn't eligible for an upgrade, but my iPad "line" is.
When I go to Apple store online or att.com it says I can upgrade my iPad line with a partial discount.

Will this convert my $10/month line to a full fledged phone line?

This is on an ATT Mobile Share plan.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I did this a few months ago and had to go through 4 different AT&T stores before they let me.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
My current phone line isn't eligible for an upgrade, but my iPad "line" is.
When I go to Apple store online or att.com it says I can upgrade my iPad line with a partial discount.

Will this convert my $10/month line to a full fledged phone line?

This is on an ATT Mobile Share plan.

If you can get away with it, try, but the answer is no.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks...I chatted with ATT and they said I could use the upgrade, but I'd have to specify a compatible data plan for the phone during checkout. She said then I'd have to contact ATT and switch the phone to the correct number.

I'm skeptical.

jatt123

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Fairfield,CA
I'm doing the opposite of what you are doing. What I'm doing is I opened up a new line bought a iPhone 5S switched it to my main line and I'm trying to get my iPad air on the newly opened line. I chatted with att rep and she said I can convert the line into an data only line I just need to activate it with the iPad by going to att.com/ipadlanding and put the sim from the iPhone 5s and the imei of iPad and it should convert over. I'm just waiting on getting my iPad to test this out hopefully it works. But in your case, I have heard people on macrumors have upgraded on the iPad line but I think att needs to add the voice plan on it for to work and once you receive the iPhone you get activate it on your line and take away the voice part from the iPad.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks...I chatted with ATT and they said I could use the upgrade, but I'd have to specify a compatible data plan for the phone during checkout. She said then I'd have to contact ATT and switch the phone to the correct number.

I'm skeptical.

I was told that this could not be done and was prohibited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.