Can I upgrade My 1.25 ghz Mac Mini CPU

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ShadyB1778, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ShadyB1778 macrumors newbie

So I just recieved this Mac Mini from a friend of mind that I was gonna use to stream my videos. problem though is it's running old software and the processor is to old to support alot of the new software. I'm new to the whole Mac mini and am curious if it's possible to upgrade the exsisting processor from a 1.25 ghz to something greater and if so what would be the best suggestion for both performance and price. I'm currently running OS 10.3.9 and am looking to run Lepoard and I've already upgraded to the max of 1 GB Mem. Whats my options with changing the processor?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unless you swap out the entire logicboard, I don't think you'll be doing any processor switching. I have heard of overclocking the G4 Mini, so that might be an option to look into. I never really did much aside from upgrade RAM in my G4 Mini. Here's a good link for info on overclocking. http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

3. ShadyB1778 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I figured as much... Thanks for the input. Whats your thoughts about running the new OS on a 1.25. 40GB hard drive big enough

4. rs13 macrumors member

it will run but it will not be blazing fast by any means if you install leopard you will use about 11 gigs of the hard drive space so there will not be much room for much else.

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Boot off a Firewire 400 enclosure with the fastest drive it'll support and run Tiger, it'll be fine to play most videos then.

6. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

U can run leopard on a 1.25. Just pop in a bigger HDD off new egg and you should be good to go

7. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Tiger is ok on that version of the mini. Like an above response said, pop in a larger hard drive. The one that the mini shipped with was horribly slow and small. Overclocking IS an option, but keep in mind that it is a small device and everything is enclosed in that small box. It could melt something so don't go too high. The G4 chips already run pretty warm. Anyway, good luck.

*another option is to use the firewire HDD like another above post said. Then you can install tiger on that, and it could be a large SATA external instead.

8. ShadyB1778 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments I will decided what will be best. Thanks again!:D

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unfortunately I got rid of my Mini long before Leopard came out, so I really couldn't say how well you'd do running it. I will say my 867MHz Powerbook runs it just fine, and with 4gb of pictures, 12gb of iTunes, and Leopard installed I still have about 10gb left on the 40gb hard drive.