can i upgrade my 3gs and re-jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamesapp, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

hello,

i have a 3gs running fw 3.1.3 and i am jaillbroken. i don't know if i used spirit to jailbreak, or not. i am wondering if i can update my iphone to 4.0.1, and use pwnage tool to jailbreak it? i downloaded pwnage tool 4.1 and i downloaded the firmware for iphone 4.0.1.

i am wondering when pwnage tool asks me to point to the firmware, would i be able to use the 4.0.1 firmware to restore to. will apple sign this?

if i can't update my phone and then jb, will wait for the dev team, but just was wondering if i can update my iphone to 4.0.1 and then re-jailbreak it.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Well, what does your boot logo look like? if it's a pineapple, you used Pwnage, it's it's the normal Apple logo, you used Spirit. :)

If you have your SHSH on file with Cydia, you might be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 but you may need to point it to a 4.0 firmware. Most likely you will have to go to 4.0 only. Apple quits signing older firmware shortly after a newer versions released so you will need to follow steps from iClarified. :)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

when i open cydia. it says i have shsh, for 3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1. my boot logo is an apple but, i thought you have the option with pwnage tool to leave the boot icon as it is.

if i did use spirit, does that mean i am stuck with 3.1.3? until 4.1 is jailbreakable?

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Custom boot logos are an option...

You more then likely are on a spirit. You would have had to be JB on 3.1.2 to be pwned on 3.1.3.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

when you say restore to 4.0.1, how exactly do i do that? do i use my shsh's with cydia? do i use the iclarified tutorial?

if i plug my phone into itunes it will update my phone to 4.1 right?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. First you gotta edit your host files to redirect to cydias server. Then You gotta download 4.0.1 and shift and click restore on iTunes to select that ipsw.

9. jamesapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there a tutorial on this stuff, that would help me? like how to edit my host files, and point to cydias servers?

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes.