Can I upgrade my Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Omar6000, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Omar6000 macrumors newbie

I have the late 2008 white macbook and I'm not happy with the default 'Intel GMA X3100 using 144 MB RAM' graphics card. I was looking at the early and mid 2009 macbook's (I believe these are the unibodies?) and they have the 'nVidia GeForce 9400M using 256 MB RAM' graphics card. I was wondering if I could upgrade my current graphics card to the nVidia GeForce 9400M or maybe something better? If not which graphics card could I upgrade it to, and can I upgrade it at all? I would also like to know if graphics card would be sold in Apple Stores or if I would have to look in ordinary electrical shops.

Thanks.

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

You can't upgrade.

The only way would be to sell your current machine and buy a new one.

3. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Yeah, because Apple directly solders the cards onto the logic board, there is no way to upgrade just the GPU in any of their computers. It would be cool if you could, though!

-The Tuck

4. Omar6000 thread starter macrumors newbie

That really sucks, at least I now know never to buy a macbook again :/

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Then you might as well never buy pretty much any notebook again. ;)

6. TheEvilDonut macrumors member

TheEvilDonut

Just asking but are there many notebooks that allow you to upgrade the GPU? I know that Alienware used to but besides them?

Again, just asking. :eek:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or any Apple again, since likely you won't like the Apple Retail options and prices for the only one you can upgrade ... the Mac Pro.

They spend $3k on a Mac Pro and complain over a couple hundred extra for the Apple tax on the graphics card upgrade years later. :rolleyes:

8. Omar6000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbooks are pretty overpriced and I like having the thrill of upgrading, I can only upgrade my RAM though. And you're right I won't buy a notebook again, but I'm not just gonna throw/give away this macbook it's 11 months old and I keep my computer for at least 4 - 5 years+ so I guess I'm stuck, I think next time I'll buy a desktop for gaming and more hardcore upgrading and a laptop (when I can afford it) to take around with me for ease of use. Thanks a lot anyway guys, highly appreciated :)

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Alienware is the only notebook I've come across with an upgradable GPU. Even then though, the choices are incredibly slim in terms of upgrading just because the mini-PCI type slot they use isn't at all common...I've never actually seen a card to purchase to upgrade one of their machines at a store now that I think about it.