can I upgrade my MBP trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weisjogger, Mar 7, 2008.

1. weisjogger macrumors newbie

So i had an old powerbook G4. Just upgraded to the MBP 15' 2.2 ghz about 2 months before Apple announced the newer MBP w/ a multi-touch trackpad.

I remember when iScroll came out and changed the way i used a laptop. Does anyone know of some upgrade software or new releases to make my track pad multi-touch?

-E

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Afraid not - the new MBP's have the multi-touch chip. It's not just a software thing.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Actually i hadn't read that it had. I know some sites have taken apart the new MBP. It would be nice to see if they have found the new multi-touch chip in there.

4. joefinan macrumors 6502a

You're right - I wasn't telling the whole story.

When the Air came out they took it apart and found the same Multi-touch chip that is in the iPhone/Touch and everyone was saying that multi-touch was more than just a software upgrade from the scrolling trackpad (in fact, I think an interview with an Apple exec confirmed this) , so I assume that same chip is in the new MB/MBPs.

There were a lot of threads like this when the Air came out a couple of months ago - have you tried doing a search?

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I know the air has it. It's been seen, pictured and commented on. I'm still waiting to see the pictures of it in the new MBP. According to anandtech the board is identical except for the CPU, power regulation circuitry and GPU memory.

Don't assume it's there, get the facts first. I'm assuming we don't know :D

6. joefinan macrumors 6502a

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

No need to apologise. Just don't make any mistakes in future :p Just kidding.

I'm just curious to find out if there is an upgrade in the chip, or if this is simply all done (as it should be able to be done) in software.