Can I upgrade my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by t-rev, May 20, 2009.

1. t-rev macrumors member

Due to the number of problems I've been having with my new MBP, I'm anticipating that I will be getting a replacement. I've had numerous calls with the Apple Expert line and still haven't been able to resolve my issues. If they do decide to replace it (it's only about 6 weeks old) would it be possible to upgrade if I pay the difference? I have the uMBP 2.66 4GB and would like to go with either the 17" or the 15" 2.93.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Apple has been known to allow upgrades for replacements, if you pay the difference. But every case is different; it certainly doesn't hurt to ask if/when they offer you a replacement.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. Mcmac17 macrumors member

I needed a replacement umbp after 5 weeks. I had bought online. They made me take it to a genius first before they offered a replacement. I asked them to upgrade the glossy screen to a an anti-glare screen on the replacement as a gesture of goodwill (ie for free). The call-handler was very helpful. He had to ask a supervisor, but did so and called me back (twice as I missed the first call) to confirm his supervisor had agreed to do this.

It's worth asking politely - but it depends on how much trouble they've caused you and how much the upgrade costs.

Good luck.

5. t-rev thread starter macrumors member

I bought it through an Apple Store. I've been dealing with them over the phone as I haven't had much time to run over to the store in person yet.

6. t-rev thread starter macrumors member

I brought my MBP in today and they did end up replacing it. I asked if I could upgrade to the 2.93 and she said no problem, but I guess they don't carry the 15" 2.93 in stores. She dug around in back for quite a while and couldn't find one. Because I needed to use it today for work I had to open it. Now that's it's new again can I return it to a store and possibly get store credit and then order online? For some reason I forgot to ask the store manager today before I left.

7. amoda macrumors 6502a

Under normal circumstances the moment you break the seal you have to pay a restocking fee (10 or 15%, I forget).

Again, no harm trying your luck. ;)