Can i upgrade my processor ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cerisk, Jul 10, 2012.

1. cerisk macrumors newbie

I have Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.6 15" (08). As stated it has Core 2 duo 2.5 gig processor. Can i upgrade it to new processor. I would want to upgrade it to i5 processor if possible ?? Is it possible or not ?? If not to i5 than than is it possible to any other superior processor ??
    Thanks in Advance.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Processors are built in to the main board of the machine and are the most integral part, they are built in in laptops to save space. You can upgrade them in desktop pcs, but not laptops.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Not all laptops, but this is correct in this case.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

considering the nature and complexity of the question i thought it was best to keep things simple.:)

5. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Very true. You're now living in the closed, locked down, highly proprietary environment of AppleLand where you're expected to buy a new computer with the CPU of Apples choice :)

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Most laptops don't have upgradeable CPU's, it's got nothing to do with Apple specifically.

8. AlexBass macrumors regular

Although it isn't possible to upgrade the CPU, it is possible to purchase a more powerful logic board specifically for the 15" 2008 MBP. The problem with this is it costs A LOT and it's really worth just purchasing a new computer altogether instead.

You can also overclock the CPU if you want by running windows on bootcamp and using a program called msi afterburner & combustor.

9. PAPO macrumors 6502

even if you could the chipsets have changed, so you can't put an i5 on a C2D chipset motherboard