Can I Upgrade my Processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lukewind, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lukewind macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a mac pro 2.26ghz dual quad core and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the processor to the 2.66 or the 2.9ghz quad cores. The system is more then enough for what i am doing right now (SD video and animation), but in tge future upgrading the processor would be nice. Is this possible and do they do it at the apple store or somewhere else?

Sorry for some dumb questions but this is my First Mac.:D

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not Mac Pro expert,but the Pro tends to be rather upgradable....you should be fine with upgrading the processor...not sure what choices you have though(as far as CPUs that fit the socket/power requirements)

3. lukewind thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that they say the Mac Pros with only one quad processor run faster, but knowing that in the next few years when more and more software is optimized for multicore processing having the dual quad cores will come in handy.

Its like $1,400 just to upgrade to the 2.66. I think if I wait a year or two I could get that for a third of that price. For now I am just going to put in another 6GB of memory and put in another hard drive.

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

This is for the older Mac Pros, although the newer one shouldn't be any different. In fact, the newer Mac Pros should be easier to upgrade, with the processors now being on the same board as the memory.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, good point. I forgot to check the date.