Can i upgrade my RAM on my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevindk2, Aug 21, 2012.

1. kevindk2 macrumors newbie

Hi MacRumors Forum

I have recently been wanting to upgrade my RAM on my MBP. It has 2GB of ram right now. I took the test on Crucial.com to see if i could and it says that i could get 8GB of ram max.

This surprises me when i have been told by many friends/family that i couldn't upgrade my RAM. Now i don't really know who to believe in :confused:.

So my question is; can i upgrade my RAM on my Macbook Pro and how much would you recommend? Is it like the more the best or is there ''too much ram''

Here is the info about it:
    Macbook Pro OS X Snow leopard version 10.6.8
    Processor; 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
    Memory; 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Please say if there is more info needed. Thank you :D

2. clyde2801, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes, you can go up to 8 gigs. Really. Promise.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes, you can. It's as easy as popping off the bottom, releasing the two sticks in there now, and putting the new ones in. Takes all of 10 min.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Since your computer doesn't support over 8 GB of RAM, I wouldn't put over 8 GB RAM in your mac. So go for 8.

I have an old iMac which only support up to 4 GB. So I placed 8 GB. It was incredibly slow. Now I've paired it with the old 2 GB. So a total of 6GB. Reason why I tell this story? It's to tell you it is possible to put more in, but might prove useless and might even have a negative result.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who do you trust more, Crucial or your friends/family?

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

You can't have too much RAM as long as your motherboard support it. Yours support 8GB, so I suggest getting 8GB (2x4GB).

7. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the fast responses! This forum really is great! :D

Well i didn't really know.. I have never bought anything from crucial before and i wasn't completely sure if it was MY macbook. And i didn't want to waste 69 bucks. But now i am sure that i should upgrade my ram because it is hard for me to have like 2 applications open without being slow.:(

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Went from 4 to 8 on my wife's 2008 uni MBP, and it made a world of difference for her simple uses.

9. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast response. Another question.. I am a bit of a computer noob when it comes to RAM and all that stuff. So i saw in the crucials website that i could by some sort of SSD card. What does it do and do i need it?

----------

I would love to see how different it will be when i upgrade from 2 to 8

A whole new world! :D

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A SSD is a different type of hard drive. They're much faster than traditional mechanical hard drives. Along with upgrading your memory, a SSD is a great way to prolong the usable lifespan of your computer.

For what it's worth, I've got a mid-2009 MacBook Pro and I recently upgraded to 8GB of memory. I noticed a slight bump in performance from the 4GB it shipped with.

11. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by a slight bump?

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

4GB's is enough for most users but since your going in you may as well go with 8G's. RAM is cheap, go ahead and max it out.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I noticed a little speed increase when I upgraded from 4GB to 8GB of memory. My main bottleneck on my computer is my HDD and my GPU. If I upgrade to a SSD, I'd notice a huge difference. Same goes for my GPU(which can't be upgraded in most laptops anyway.)

In your case, you're upgrading from 2GB and you ought to notice a larger performance increase than I.

14. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, i see :D