Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdebeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I just got a new MBP for my business, and my wife will now use my old (still fine) PBG4 for personal use. First I want to wipe it clean and do a fresh install for her. It's totally full of crap she won't need, which has completely filled the HD and it seems has been clogging performance.

Question: Can I use the install discs that came with my MBP, or do I need to use the older Tiger discs I have? I don't mind using the Tiger discs, I guess, but would like to give her the newer iLife suite that came with the MBP. Are there other advantages of using more recent install disks, if that is even possible. That's my question, actually: is it possible? I guess the biggest hiccup might be the Intel-PPC issue, or won't that matter?

If I can't use the MBP discs, maybe I can just copy the iLife apps. Or will the same problems arise in that case?

Any advice for me?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Give it a shot. It won't hurt anything. Although I'm pretty sure it won't work.

EDIT: There is nothing clogging the system or performance on a base OS X install. Just a few gigs wasted to demos. I would at least try to install the new iLife.

jdebeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Not a chance, OS X is not a Universal binary. The Intel version will not work on the PPC PowerBook.

That was my hunch. Does that mean iLife won't work either (whether from the install discs or by dragging the apps across), even if I reinstall Tiger from the retail discs I bought last winter?

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
That was my hunch. Does that mean iLife won't work either (whether from the install discs or by dragging the apps across), even if I reinstall Tiger from the retail discs I bought last winter?

Yes, it won't work. Everything on the discs that came with your mbp is intel only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.