Can I upgrade right now?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cclloyd, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

If I have the iOS 7 ipsw file right now, am I able to upgrade (An iPad 2 to be exact) to iOS 7 and have it work? Asking because of the issues with the developer portal recently.

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

If you are a developer then you can install it. If you are not, you can only upgrade from iOS 6. Do not restore.

3. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Yea I know because I'm a dev I can. I mean, are the activation servers working?

4. sero323 macrumors regular

I wouldn't risk it bro. I did hear the activation servers are down and apple checks your ios 7 update with their servers which are still down. I wouldn't do it unless there is a way to revert back to ios 6 (which idk if you can or not)

5. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Updated the iPhone 4 test device to beta 3 yesterday - no issues.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Follow these steps since Activation Servers are still down :-

1. Take backup while in iOS6
    2. Reset to factory setting and setup as new (DO NOT RESTORE BACKUP), skip all the initial steps like Apple ID/iCloud
    3. Now use the Option+Update button and select the ipsw
    4. Once done and back to home screen restore your last iOS6 Backup

Btw, best to change the iPhone Name in iOS7 to keep the last iOS6 backup untouched.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What is the difference between updating from an existing iOS 6 installation and updating from a fresh iOS 6 *then* restoring the backup? In other words, what difference does it make whether the data is already there when you update as opposed to loading it in after the update?

Also, changing the device name doesn't prevent overwriting the backup. iTunes keeps track of backups by device UDID, not device names. To make sure your backup doesn't get overwritten, copy it to another location.

8. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

The activation servers are not down.

9. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Both your points... I gave as a safety measure ... Don't want to do , don't do !

----------

2 days ago I tried activation and didn't go through , got the down message hence my statement but thanks for picking that out from the whole message

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Activation servers aren't the same as registration servers.the key question first is if the UDID is registered. If its not then either wait or do the upgrade style

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Your welcome. Glad to point out incorrect statements when I see them.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First point, safety measure, got it.

Second point, about renaming device, isn't safe -- RENAMING DEVICE WON'T PREVENT BACKUP FROM BEING OVERWRITTEN! Get it?

13. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Just FYI you can downgrade to the currently signed version of iOS, in this case 6.1.(3/4), but it has to be a restore, not upgrade; whereas you can upgrade to iOS 7 and keep your stuff.

14. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

This thread is full of fail. The original poster can simply click update and shift and they will have ios 7. Stop jerking him around about activation servers etc.

15. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

In case you're still wondering, I upgraded back to iOS 7 last night with zero issues.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

The device won't work if it can't activate ;)

17. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

It will help point out the type of backup you have because they are not overwritten when you change iOS versions