Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Can I upgrade the 256 SSD to a 512 SSD on my i7 3.4 27" iMac? I saw some units being sold on ebay with a 512 SSD along with a 2TB serial ATA.

If so, how much would it cost....and is this and easy thing to do? Thanks!

Harry

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Yes For how check ifixit. Easy: no.

I got the easy=no part, but you you please elaborate a bit more? ifixit??

I can put in HDs in my towers and have no probs installing ram...but I never looked inside of an iMac before. (I didn't buy it yet....I'm still shopping around)

Thanks!

Harry

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
go to http://www.ifixit.com they have guides and step by step.

Thanks! I checked out the site but there really isn't an answer to my question.

I'm not looking to add additional drives. My question is if I can just swap out the 256 SSD for a 512 SSD with ease. I don't want to replace the 2TB serial ATA, just want a larger SSD drive than the 256 that comes with it. I would think it would be just an easy plug and play swap? Thanks for the help.

Harry

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks! I checked out the site but there really isn't an answer to my question.

I'm not looking to add additional drives. My question is if I can just swap out the 256 SSD for a 512 SSD with ease. I don't want to replace the 2TB serial ATA, just want a larger SSD drive than the 256 that comes with it. I would think it would be just an easy plug and play swap? Thanks for the help.

Harry

Yes, you can swap out the current SSD with another one. I'd recommend using the ifixit guide to open up the iMac and get to the SSD currently inside, though. As already said, doing this isn't exactly easy if this is your first time inside an iMac (not including RAM). The cost of the upgrade, should you do it yourself, should only be the cost of the new SSD and maybe the appropriate screwdrivers, possibly minus the amount you can sell the old SSD for.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Could I take it to my local Apple store and have them swap drives for me? If so, what would they charge? I'm not sure if I'm 100% comfortable doing it myself...and I take it that if I do swap drives, I'll void the apple care warranty?

Thanks!
Harry

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Could I take it to my local Apple store and have them swap drives for me? If so, what would they charge? I'm not sure if I'm 100% comfortable doing it myself...and I take it that if I do swap drives, I'll void the apple care warranty?

Thanks!
Harry

Apple store will not do this, however, many AASP will. These authorized service centers will usually make all sort of modifications. My iMac was modded to use eSATA by an AASP but of course now I can only take it back to them for warranty work but that's fine with me.

Also, some are better than others so YMMV as to the quality of work performed.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Apple store will not do this, however, many AASC will. These authorized service centers will usually make all sort of modifications. My iMac was modded to use eSATA by an AASC but of course now I can only take it back to them for warranty work but that's fine with me.

Also, some are better than others so YMMV as to the quality of work performed.

Cheers,
How does one locate a local AASC?

matbook101

macrumors 6502
How does one locate a local AASC?

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.