Can i Upgrade the Processor on MacBookPro5,1 Late 2008 MB470LL/A(2,4)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimifrag, Mar 30, 2011.

1. dimifrag macrumors newbie

Hi i have the MacBookPro5,1 Late 2008 MB470LL/A(2,4) and i wanna upgrade DIY the Processor from :
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz bus speed 478 pin for CPU Socket P & B, to Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Mobile QX9300 CPU 2.53GHz 1066 MHz bus speed 478 pin for CPU Socket P!

Can i do that?

I NEED HELP GUYS!

My MacbookPro5,1 Late 2008 MB470LL/A(2,4) what type of socket has:
    B Socket type or P Socket type?

If anyone can hepl me please i need help for this question i have search all the internet but i can find something!

Attached Files:

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The CPU is soldered onto the logic board so you can't upgrade it without some special hardware (which means you have to do that for living).

4. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

are you sure for that? the cpu it's soldered in mainboard? an if i give the macbookpro in apple for upgrade the apple give to me with a processor a new mainbord sordered?

5. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

do you kno the type of socket of this macbookpro ?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, I am sure about that.

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is no lever or any other way to easily remove the CPU.

Apple does not offer CPU upgrades so they would just tell you to get a new MBP, which is what I would recommend as well.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes, it is soldered directly to the board. You would need to unsoldered, remove and resolder. It can be done, but not for the faint of heart and only the specialized people. When the logic board is replaced it comes preconfigured with a new processor soldered on already.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It is soldered on. So it doesn't use a socket (technically it does, but functionally it is non replaceable)

9. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the support . i understand now is so difficult to change the cpu!

but if i find a way to unsolder and put in the new cpu will can work or not?

10. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your advice ! were can i find the specialized peoples? :)

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's literally impossible to do it by hand. It cannot be upgraded by any reasonable means, and I am doubting that that CPU you listed would work with that computer anyhow.

Why not just upgrade to one of the new quads? That would be significantly faster

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Assuming you did it correctly, the only thing that would stop it is Apple making the EFI in each machine only recognize the CPU it came installed with (which seems incredibly unlikely). I would go out on a limb and say yes the system should work, your first hurdle is getting a prof/machine grade desolder/solder job done...

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Even if it would be possible (theoretically it is, practically it is not considering the costs for the replacement), the different TDP prevents this from working. 25W vs. 45W for the QX make this upgrade impossible.

14. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you again !
    you say the problem is in EFI the firmware. and if find the way to unsolder /solder the efi may be dont support the new cpu!

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not necessarily prevent. You can run e.g. W5590 in DP Mac Pros even though the original CPUs are 95W while W5590 is 130W (I'm sure you are aware of this). However, it might melt on your lap :p

Someone tried C2Q in an iMac and it did not work, even though it was supposed to (this was with late '09 iMac)

16. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

why? the MBP POWER SUPPLY can't give the 45w on the qx cpu?

17. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys a lot ! with some words is not possible!

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

However unlikely it is possible...
    It isn't the power supply that would be the problem. Cooling (could) be the problem. We don't know if the design of the older machines could handle the hotter chip.

19. dimifrag thread starter macrumors newbie

But if anyone learning something about that if it easy i wanna know how :apple: