Can I upgrade to 10.4 with a previously used copy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by riker1384, Jan 11, 2008.

1. riker1384 macrumors regular

I have 10.3.9. I've installed all the updates to the OS, Itunes and everything.

I know somebody who had 10.4 but doesn't use his old computer anymore. I want to take his copy of Tiger that came with his computer and use it to upgrade my computer. Can I do that, or will it not work because it was installed on another computer already? Am I likely to have any other problems upgrading to 10.4 and then installing all the relevant online updates?

2. one1 macrumors 65816

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

depending on the type of tiger install disc of your friend it may or may not work.. if it works it is still something you should not be doing

4. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it would be okay if he's not using that computer any more, so he's not using that copy of the OS, just giving it to me.

5. one1 macrumors 65816

Most computers install disks are computer specific. Such as an iMac or PowerBook, hence the OS is only made for that model unlike a retail version which is a free for all on anything with an apple on the front that'll run the specs.

6. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

Will an eMac disc work on a different version of the eMac, or just one particular one?

I have a new 160 GB Ipod that was a gift, I would have to return it if I couldn't get it working, so I don't think Apple would care. Saves them the trouble of making them work with 10.3 or having to resell my Ipod as a refurb.