Can I upgrade to a 512 SSD mid 2009?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peluza, Jan 18, 2013.

1. peluza macrumors newbie

I was thinking to change the hard drive of my MBP 5,3 (mid-2009 15) and put a 512 SSD but the support page of apple http://support.apple.com/kb/SP544 says that I can only put a 256 SSD hard drive and I don't understand why.

Also, I would like to know what kind of hard drives can i install if i replace my SuperDrive... can I put there a 512 SSD????

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The link says nothing about the maximum capacity of an SSD, you won't have problems in the normal position nor replacement in the optical space.

3. Orlandoech, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes you can, you just will be limited/capped to SATA II speeds and therefor will not be able to take full advantage of the SSD speeds posted by the Manufacturer if its a SATA III SSD.

4. Inside_line macrumors regular

Link only shows different buying configurations for that machine in 2009. 512 SSD should be a nice upgrade.

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am running one on my 2009 uMB 2.4 with 4GB/512SSD, however keep in mind, that only Sata II or 3G is supported by this machine.

6. peluza thread starter macrumors newbie

But... but

But I also asked to an apple genius, he checked in his computer and told me that I can only upgrade to 256gb SSD . So im worried about the firmware, maybe it doesn't recognize the hard drive :(

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Buy the 512 from a vendor with a good return policy, either online or brick-and-mortar.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Here's my opinion about that genius, then. He's an idiot and has no business being anywhere near computers.

Capacity does not affect compatibility, the only thing is that you will not get full speed from a SATA III SSD as your computer only has SATA II, that's about as far as you'll go down the "incompatibility" road. Everything will work just fine, provided you don't get a dud SSD out of the box(it can happen, after all).

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Genius is not an idiot. They are not going to suggest an option that was not a BTO option when the system was available for sale.

They aren't going to say with any degree of certainty that a third-party option will work perfectly with zero issues. Doing so will open up a huge can of worms from a support view as well as possibly a legal view. They are just covering their a**, so to speak.

With that said, there is nothing technologically stopping anyone from adding higher capacity drives to a system from 2009.

10. wildatheart macrumors member

wildatheart

A perfect fractal of how, in the main, corporations serve their shareholders and not the customer, meanwhile buying protection from The Government that they lobby. Wildly off-topic, sorry.