Can I upgrade to iOS 7 beta?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lovewd, Aug 28, 2013.

1. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

So here is my situation. I want to upgrade to iOS 7, but I don't want to lose my unlock. I bought the phone from some guy off of craigslist, and it was unlocked when I got it. I am not sure if he had it carrier unlocked directly from at&t or some unlock method on the internet. So I am really wondering, would updating to the beta re lock my phone? By the way it is a 16GB iPhone 4

2. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

Not sure, but why not just wait til 2 weeks (rumoured)

3. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Just wait until it's officialy released 'cause you don't seem to know jack about betas and whatnot

4. dhlizard, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There are only 3 possible ways it could be unlocked:

Ultrasn0w via Cydia
    sim interposer in sim slot with carrier sim
    IMEI unlock

If it it either of first 2 methods, when you update, you lose the unlock.
    The IMEI unlock is forever.

Honestly, if you require the phone to be unlocked, without knowing what you are doing, I recommend you stay clear of updating since going from beta to GM can be semi-technical

5. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

It's not like I don't know anything. I already put it on my iPad. I just don't want to lose my unlock. But I guess I'll just wait

6. pottyvick macrumors regular

Check online to see if its imei unlocked... ive used imei.info and its free... (if im not supposed to post that link, sorry)

7. Wikwoo macrumors newbie

Wikwoo

iOS 7 on iPhone 4 is dreadful, it's so slow and laggy and just ugh, wait until the full release, trust me, I have the beta on my 4 and it's pretty bad..
    If you do insist on putting the beta on there, no, it won't reset the unlock, (mine was unlocked when I updated to the beta)

8. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

It just depends on how it was unlocked. If it was a jailbroken/software unlock then it won't be preserved. If it was IMEI unlocked then it will be preserved.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you have an app called "Cydia" on your phone? Also eject the SIM tray and see how many physical cards are in there.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

dlhlizard's response pretty well covered it three days ago.

11. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

What would sim cards have to do with anything? And of course I would have mentioned if I was jailbroken.........

12. Nermal, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well that's what locking is all about - restricting the phone to certain SIMs - so it has a lot to do with it!

Edit: A little clarification: My earlier post was to see whether there's an interposer in there. If there is one then it's pretty much guaranteed to not be an official unlock.