Can I upgrade to iOS5 simply by clicking update/restore?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by patent10021, Oct 12, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

JB on 4.3.2. I want to upgrade to iOS5 and I don't care about breaking my JB. I do care about my Address Book and other app data.

Do I simply backup then click the update button? Do I need to wipe my phone first? Do you wipe it by clicking restore?

If you've JB'd is it better to wipe your phone in the first place to start fresh? My phone has been acting strange lately and I can only surmise that it's because it's JB.

Thanks

2. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

I am on 4.3.3. JB and am in the same boat. OS running very slow, I would like to do a fresh ios5 install but bring as much app/data I can. However I would like save my baseband in case i am not thrilled with ios5 and can revert back to 4.3.3 and jailbroken. How can I do what OP is looking for + what I am looking for?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I wonder if a fresh install is the same on OSX. Does an iOS fresh install clean up all the potential garbage left over from JB? Or does a simply upgrade to iOS5 clean everything?

I can't wait to start fresh and keep only the apps I've been using. Delete all the other crap.

One thing I don't like about iTunes/Store is that it keeps a history of purchases AUTOMATICALLY. I'd like to be able to tell iTunes to forget about a certain app permanently. I want the option to choose what purchase history I want iTunes to remember.

4. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Realized I should post my setup.

I only need backups of iOS Mail, Notes, Safari (which are synced via MobileMe anyway) so I'm assuming I'm safe to BACKUP then do a RESTORE to factory settings then upgrade to iOS 5 then SYNC to MobileMe? Is that still safe? Or should I BACKUP then upgrade to iOS 5 then RESTORE then sync with MobileMe?

If there is data from one 3rd party app I'd like to save how would someone go about restoring to factory settings then installing that data again?