Can I Upgrade to iPhone3G at Subsidized Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goblues11, Jul 4, 2008.

1. goblues11 macrumors newbie

goblues11

When I log on to my wireless account on AT&T and see if my phone is elgible for an upgrade it says

You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 08/22/2008

Device offers are made available from time to time based on a number of factors: service tenure, spending levels, payment history, usage practices and other factors.
    :confused:

Am I elgible for the lower pricing on the iPhone 3G

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

No, not until 8/22, and from the docs for ATT employees, they can not make an exception without possible termination. With any other phone, they may have let it slide, but the iPhone release is being really strict.

You can choose the non-subsidized price like any other phone, except still with 2 year contract. But this time they are calling it an "Early Upgrade", for $399-$499. This makes me fear if you take it, they'll reset your eligibility for another 18+ months.

Maybe after the launch is over, and things die down on demand so they won't be as strict, say on 7/22, go in for the iPhone, and since you have within 30 days to return it, explain they might as well give you the discount now or you could return the phone on 8/22 and rebuy it at the $199 price.

3. goblues11 thread starter macrumors newbie

goblues11

Thanks, thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.