Can I upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theslaz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Have a older iMac ( 20 inch 2008). Checking to see if it is capable of running Lion. Can’t find the version of OS that I have on it right now. The “About Mac” states that it is presently running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. Is this version of OS good enough to be able to upgrade to Lion???

Processor is 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo and has 4 Gig of memory.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac model will support Lion. You need to first upgrade to Snow Leopard, so you can access the Mac App Store to download Lion, or buy the Lion USB drive.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As mentioned, you need to pay for the USB or upgrade to Snow Leopard first but your system can handle it. My macbook has the same processor and half that much RAM and I still run Lion on it. Lion loves to be a RAM hog though so a memory upgrade wouldn’t hurt. On an iMac it’s cheap and easy to change though so I wouldn’t worry. 4GB is enough to handle it for certain, just a suggestion.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You can also do a clean install of Lion if you don't want to buy Snow Leopard, but you'll need to move important stuff from you computer temporarily.

5. arjen92, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I run Lion on (I believe) pretty much the same iMac. I checked into upgrading the RAM to 8 GB, but I believe the iMac doesn't support it (at least, not these old ones). If you can prove me wrong, please.

EDIT: After some extra research I found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=607076 However, where 8 GB RAM for my macbook pro (1033 mhz) is only 35 euros, 8 GB RAM 200 pin 800 mhz (I believe the one that fits the mac) is 100 euro (at least).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies! According to the Crucial.com web site; this computer is maxed out memory wise.

I am running Lion on my new iMac and I prefer it over what is on the older computer. Now that I know what is required; I will do some research and decide which way to go in upgrading. May just do a clean install!

Thanks again!

8. Jesse813 macrumors newbie

You'll be fine. you just have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first.

9. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Did the upgrade and now running “Lion”. Had a few problems; but when I finally figured out how to do the upgrade everything went okay. And it was quick; only about 45 minuets total!

Thanks to everyone for the help and info.