Can I upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP SP1?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by krll, Feb 10, 2010.

1. krll macrumors newbie

I just got windows 7 "upgrade" and I only have XP SP1. I was wondering if i could just install the XP and then upgrade or do i need to XP SP2.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You cannot upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. Only from Vista. Your Windows 7 disk will do a full new install, however.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could go here and see for yourself: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: Can I upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP SP 1?

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. krll thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help, a clean install is ok for me, but do I have to have an XP SP2 cd or can I just use my SP1 cd?

Also if I use bootcamp and install windows 7, do I have to have XP on my computer first or can I just skip that step?

Kirill

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

clean install = skip it.

B