Can I upgrade unlocked 1.1.1 to 1.1.3?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Khurram, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

I have an unlocked 1.1.1 which I unlocked while going overseas so I could use my overseas sim card.
    I'm now back in nyc and using att again as I originally was.

I want to upgrade to 1.1.3 and I don't mind if it re locks the phone and gets rid of jailbreak.

I just want to know if it will brick my unlocked phone if I upgrade to 1.1.3?

If there is a way to avoid this please let me know..(virginize, restore?)
    thanks

2. ccolaco macrumors 6502

As of right now, there is no way you can use your phone with another sim card other than AT&T on 1.1.3 If you do however accidentally upgrade to 1.1.3, you can downgrade the bootloader to 3.9 and the firmware to 1.1.1.

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

im i heard it wont brick your iphone if you use att but virginize just incase then restore and then update besides that iphonesimfree still works :D its just we need to wait for a jailbreaking process

4. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be using my AT&T sim- guess I will virginize then restore to 1.1.1 then upgrade. That should work right?

5. mdio1234 macrumors newbie

mdio1234

yeah that should do it, restore it before upgrading

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

You don't need to virginize if you used anySIM 1.1.

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

yes you do just as a safety percussion thats all

8. hobo macrumors regular

Just wanted to ask for sure - you're on an iPhone plan now, correct?

9. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I am on an iphone plan and have been from the beginning.
    The only issue was that over winter break I went overseas and needed to unlock my phone so I could use it with my sim over there which is why I unlocked it.
    However now that i'm back in the states I am back on my att iphone sim

10. ck27 macrumors newbie

If you want an Ibrick be my guest. As of right now apple has sealed pretty much all the loopholes and there will be probably no way to get ahead of apple. So the hacking team will have to deal with lower versions of the iphone, just like the sony psp. I hope they can jailbreak the 1.1.3 and whatever one comes ahead of it but it is unlikely.

11. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

12. igglepuff macrumors regular

it requires a hardware mod right now..so it hasnt been released

13. ck27 macrumors newbie

I hope you are right. I wish apple would just give up on trying to stop jailbreaking. It is obvious there intention with every update.

14. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

We all wish the same.... But its not gonna happen, Apple might not care as much as ATT if your phone is unlocked or jailbraked. ATT wouldn't be happy if they don't receive subscriptions and since Apple takes a cut from the monthly bill they will be pissed off as well, even though they make profit from the device itself. To maintain the 5 year agreement Apple must work against hackers and unlockers, so ATT will keep seeing new customers and Apple a small piece of the monthly bill.

-Victor

15. gnordic macrumors newbie

Here we go again....

So, like every other iPhone thread out there, this one is trying to get off course and talk about the ridiculous battle between corporate America and the poor joe who wants to eat his cake and have it to. I want my cake.

To the issue at hand, it sounds like whats needed is someone to try upgrading a jailbroken, and then re-jailed 1.1.1 iPhone to 1.1.3. I have a 1.1.1 phone that has never been upgraded or unlocked in any way, and was thinking of being the guinea pig. However, is there a difference in the state of the iPhone from case 1 and 2 where case 1 is:
    case 1: iPhone unlocked using AnySim 1.1
    case 2: iPhone unlocked using iPhoneSimFree or any other unlock scheme
    ?
    If so, I'd need to know before I decide how to jailbreak my phone to perform the test. But I've searched hard, and haven't found a definitive test as to whether you can truly update a re-jailed phone (perhaps with ssh installed) to 1.1.3. Anyone think I should run the gauntlet?

16. neerajshah macrumors newbie

Hi Khurram,

I was wondering if you found out if we could update our unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, I would also like to do that, but haven't got a definitive answer yet, so was wondering if you had any experience with that.

17. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I also have not gotten a solid answer on it and i'm afraid to brick my phone!
    Has anyone with an anysim unlocked but now running an att sim upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 with success?

18. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

Here This Is What To Do

:apple: Viginize
    :apple: Restore to 1.1.1
    :apple: Upgrade

Be safe... It will take a few extra mins and you will definately not have a brick

TheYankees1903 :apple:

19. neerajshah macrumors newbie

Great, thanks I will definitely try it. The only thing is, I'm unsure about the first step. What do I have to do to 'virginize' my phone?

Thanks

20. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

Hope THIS Helps

Virginize means that you make it like it came from the box with the same firmware... baseband... and everything...

Hope this helps,
    TheYankees1903 :apple:

21. jeffmc macrumors 6502

with the new iBrickr you can upgrade 1.1.1 straight to 1.1.3.

The only catch is your baseband does not get upgraded with the software version as it should with a true AT&T phone

22. neerajshah macrumors newbie

Yeah, but how do i actually go ahead and do it? Does it mean I have to run the 'Virginizer' program from the Installer?