Can I upgrade VISTA to Windows 7 this way?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by celiboy07, Sep 21, 2010.

1. celiboy07 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a Mac Mini in the near future and would like some information on installing Windows 7 using Boot Camp.

I have an existing Dell Laptop with Windows Vista. Included with the laptop is the backup for Windows Vista SP1. From my understanding if I want to install Windows 7 on the Mac Mini, it needs to be the Full and not the Upgrade version, unless I put an existing version of VISTA first and then upgrade.

My question is, can I first install the Windows Vista CD that came with my Dell onto the Mac Mini, and then upgrade from VISTA to Windows 7? The reason I ask is because I can purchase Windows 7 Professional Upgrade from Microsoft using the Student Discount.

If this option doesn't work, if anyone can point me into the right direction to to get the Windows 7 Professional version on the Mac Mini? The full version is of Windows 7 Professional over $250 while the student upgrade is $65. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member