Can I use 2 Expresses to extended my network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by corry20, Dec 1, 2013.

1. corry20 macrumors regular

I have a Airport Express connected to my modem in my basement.When I go up 2 floors the signal goes up and down.It's goes from around 6 to 20 mbps.If I added a second airport express upstairs will this help my issue?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Suggest not investing in a second express that does not do AC wifi, even if your current devices don't yet do AC.

Put in a new extreme or time capsule and use the current express to extend the express or capsule.

3. bartonjm macrumors member

This is what I plan to do. Is this an easy process? Appreciate the help.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Very easy using airport utility. Turn off wifi on the cable modem. Turn off express and move Ethernet cable from express to extreme. Turn on extreme and set it up as a new. Network. Turn on express and set up as extension to extreme, not as new network. Once express is working ok, power off and move to desired location, power up and see if extreme and express can hear each other. You may need to move express to get optimum wifi network extension.

5. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I've read this slows down the network, is this true?

6. marktebbutt1 macrumors newbie

Absolutely true.

7. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Yes, if you extend wirelessly as the poster instructed (in that it will lower the throughput). However, it is not true if you connect the two AirPorts via a wired connection. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4145 for Apple's recommendations and more detailed instructions.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

the best capacity and coverage (two very different requirements), are likely best delivered by a CAT 6 Ethernet bus between all floors with a new extreme or time capsule on each floor. My original comment was a response to the original requirement for improved coverage. Capacity did not seem to be a problem.