Can I use 3g data while connected to local wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by newtoiphonesdk, Oct 27, 2010.

1. newtoiphonesdk macrumors 6502a

I am getting a new Apple TV. I want to use the remote app on my iPhone to control it. We don't have internet, just a wireless netgear router. I know that I can't rent or stream anything from the internet, but I do want to stream stuff from my computer to the Apple TV and use the remote app. My problem is that since we have no internet, when my phone is connected to the wifi network, it will not allow me to surf the web. Is there any way to bypass this so that I can be connected to the local wifi network, but still use the 3G data?

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Not that I am aware of. If the phone is connected to wifi it will use that for it's internet connection.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Not without jailbreaking. Even then I don't know (vanilla here)

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

took me a while to figure out what you are trying to do and the answer is no

wifi supercedes the 3G signal

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I believe there are jailbroken apps that allow you to quickly switch Wifi on and off without having to go into the Settings menu. Something like that is probably your best bet.

That's pretty much all I know about that, though. You'll have to search to find it.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah sbsettings allows you to pull up quick settings at anytime

still the answer is NO to the original question

sounds like the OP is just being cheap though, sounds like paying for Internet would solve this problem he's having

( why does he have a wifi router if he doesn't have an internet connection? )