Can I use a 3G iphone bought by someone else??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prp134, Jul 24, 2008.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

I'm a current att customer but Im not eligible for an upgrade, my mom however, is available for an upgrade on her account. We have different accounts and plans.

If she would to buy the 3G iphone using her upgrade on her account, would I be able to just insert my sim and use the iphone on my account?

I'm just wonder what is the point of registering in person? will the phone be lock to that specific number or just provider?

2. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

It will 100% work. After it's activated on her plan, she will just have to call up AT&T and remove the iPhone data plan (or they can do it right in the ATT store if you go to ATT over Apple). Then you just have to add the iPhone data plan to your plan.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I've read posts on here with Family plans that do that but i'm not sure about a separate account. Best thing is to go into an AT&T store and ask them about it.

5. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

well we both are on family plans...my mom has a family plan with my two brothers and I'm on family plan with my dad.

I just wondered if it would work since we are on two totally different plans.

Well it looks like Im getting a 3G iphone:D

6. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

I guarantee it'll still work. Each line of the family plan is treated as a separate contract anyway.

But like you said, he should still check with ATT to make sure (you never know with some of those negative IQ'ed salespeople :D

7. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

You can get it transferred to you. just go to the apple store or att

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Hey Guys, this thread is from last July. To the two previous posters: Why are you responding to this old thread? :p

Dave