Can I use a BlackBerry's GPS w/out a Data Plan?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leomac08, Oct 3, 2009.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

So!, after researching, for many hours. I am still confused.

I have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 (AT&T) I have a $30 BB Data Plan, but in November 2009, I will need to cut my Data Plan Services due to economical reasons.

The Question is: Can I use Google Maps and use the GPS function?
    (Please Be aware, that I will NOT HAVE A DATA PLAN!")

I am also aware that my BB 8310 has GPS, but my main concern is: Will I be charged an extra fee? or something if I use the GPS app Google Maps, even if I don't have a $30 BB Data Plan on AT&T?

Another Question:

I was looking at this: http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/mobilext/

which is basically Garmin Mobile for Blackberry.

Question: If I buy this $100 app, will this app include "pre-loaded maps?" and will I be able to use it without a Data Plan and still use my BB's GPS capabilities.

If u answer my questions, thank you.:)

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i think you'll get a more informative answer if you go to the blackberry forums instead. but i would still think you'd get charged via data. although GPS is separate i just have a feeling that it'll still go through data

3. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

thanks but hmmm that's the same answer i been getting at crackberry.com and other BB websites.... but still unsure.....

do u have an answer for the 2nd question?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Garmin on the Blackberry won't work because the maps are over the air and not on the Blackberry. To get the maps to display, you would need a data plan.

5. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

THANK YOU>>>.... just one more question r u 100% positive or still unsure? (just asking btw,....thanks...)

and do u know of any other GPS-free apps? for BB, i've heard of many... but i'm still unsure..

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I am 100% positive. I bought the $99 app myself and it would work only with a data plan.

The app also needs a data plan because on startup, it phones home to confirm your license is valid on the phone you are using it on. If it can't confirm, it won't even allow the app to be used.

7. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

oh wow!, good to know..... well hopefully, thinks will work out...i am trying out the 7-day trial for Garmin Mobile for BB, but it will only last till Nov 09....till things get better.... thanks...:)

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have bad new for you leomac08. After September 6th 2009 you will not be allowed to drop you data plan.

You are SOL on that part. You are stuck with that data plan on all smart phones. The only way to drop it is to no longer be using a smart phone. Yes I know it sucks but AT&T was the last of the major carriers to force data plans on to all smart phones.

As for you orginal question. No Google maps will no longer work with out a data plan.

But you the most important part is you can not save money by dropping the data plan any more.

here is a thread regarding the data plan from the crackberry forums.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-not-allowing-me-cancel-my-data-plan-311071/

9. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

OMG!!! R u serious?!!!! I knew that AT&T was making it's customers buy a mandatory data plan for all smartphones in sept 09, but I didn't know that.... Odd.... But still I have to double check on that,, that is some major BS!!! From AT&T!!!! :D. Thanks for the heads up!

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Quite. Hence the reason I provide you a link to some others who have had that issue.

Yes it is BS I agree completely. All the carriers did this with in a short time and it was as simple if you already had a data plan or added one there was no way to remove it.
    Only wave to stay safe was to not have it when they made the rule and they would grandfather you in.

I have to go to ATT store before Wed and get them to credit me $50 as they did a price drop on my phone.