Can I use A Cable Modem with the new iMacs?

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I presently use a cable modem to connect on to the internet and I have a PC. In October i will be getting a new iMac and I just want to make sure that my cable modem will work with the iMac? What port would I plug the cable into on the back of the iMac? Also I have high-speed internet not dsl.....

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Yes, no problem. Networking is universally compatible. SHould just need to plug into the iMac's ethernet port and be good to go.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I presently use a cable modem to connect on to the internet and I have a PC. In October i will be getting a new iMac and I just want to make sure that my cable modem will work with the iMac? What port would I plug the cable into on the back of the iMac? Also I have high-speed internet not dsl.....
It doesn't matter what Internet service you have (beyond dial-up)...it all gets converted into standard Ethernet. That's exactly what the models are for, because no computer has the built-in capability to understand (or physically accept) a data stream over a coaxial cable or DSL line. The modem translates whatever means the ISP uses to get the Internet to you into the Ethernet networking standard so any computer can use it.

Also, if you don't have one, you should probably think about getting a router. It's not a good idea to have a computer hooked directly into a modem; you're open to the entire Internet that way.

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Also, if you don't have one, you should probably think about getting a router. It's not a good idea to have a computer hooked directly into a modem; you're open to the entire Internet that way.

Why is that i thought Macs were safer than a PC? Also all i have now is a modem in use not a router......

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Why is that i thought Macs were safer than a PC? Also all i have now is a modem in use not a router......
All routers -- wireless or wired -- act as a "hardware firewall" between your computer and the internet. Routers keep track of which computers request what data, and send the responses back to that computer only. So if any data comes from "out there" that you didn't specifically request (even if you only have a single computer connected) it will be blocked and will not reach your computer. OSX has a software firewall installed but a router is cheap, cheap insurance against all sorts of unwanted intrusions.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Security online probing tests

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Here you have some online intrusion tests that can tell you if ports to your system are open or closed or invisible (stealth) from outside. The site is rather windows-orientated but for some sketchy information it should be good enough.

Scroll down there to ShieldsUP! then Proceed and ShieldsUP!! Services - All Service Ports (first 1056)