Can I use A Cable Modem with the new iMacs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by youashwag, Aug 11, 2007.

1. youashwag macrumors regular

I presently use a cable modem to connect on to the internet and I have a PC. In October i will be getting a new iMac and I just want to make sure that my cable modem will work with the iMac? What port would I plug the cable into on the back of the iMac? Also I have high-speed internet not dsl.....

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, no problem. Networking is universally compatible. SHould just need to plug into the iMac's ethernet port and be good to go.

3. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you will be fine. It will most likely be even easier on the mac.

4. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Rj-45

Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector).

That's fine. I am using cable modem internet with ethernet and wireless (netgear) at highest possible full speeds (MBP). :cool:

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It doesn't matter what Internet service you have (beyond dial-up)...it all gets converted into standard Ethernet. That's exactly what the models are for, because no computer has the built-in capability to understand (or physically accept) a data stream over a coaxial cable or DSL line. The modem translates whatever means the ISP uses to get the Internet to you into the Ethernet networking standard so any computer can use it.

Also, if you don't have one, you should probably think about getting a router. It's not a good idea to have a computer hooked directly into a modem; you're open to the entire Internet that way.

6. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

Why is that i thought Macs were safer than a PC? Also all i have now is a modem in use not a router......

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

All routers -- wireless or wired -- act as a "hardware firewall" between your computer and the internet. Routers keep track of which computers request what data, and send the responses back to that computer only. So if any data comes from "out there" that you didn't specifically request (even if you only have a single computer connected) it will be blocked and will not reach your computer. OSX has a software firewall installed but a router is cheap, cheap insurance against all sorts of unwanted intrusions.

8. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Security online probing tests

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Here you have some online intrusion tests that can tell you if ports to your system are open or closed or invisible (stealth) from outside. The site is rather windows-orientated but for some sketchy information it should be good enough.

Scroll down there to ShieldsUP! then Proceed and ShieldsUP!! Services - All Service Ports (first 1056)