Can I use a Canada unlocked iPhone 3G here in the US?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheKyubi, Jan 20, 2011.

1. TheKyubi macrumors newbie

My sister sent a Canada unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 3G from Canada. Can I just put in my T-Mobile sim card in it and will it work? Or do I have to do something to the phone in order for it to work?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to turn off 3G. You might have to adjust the settings to get messaging to work.
    Nothing else is required.

Is this factory unlocked or jb unlocked? If it's jb unlocked, don't update the software without doing research.

3. TheKyubi thread starter macrumors newbie

JB unlocked, it has Cydia. I don't need 3G. Just want to be able to make calls.

4. broker21 macrumors newbie

iPhone - Canada to US

Need some guidance on what to do to get this working. Here is what i have.

iPhone that was given to me was on Rogers Canada and I want to use in the US. Nothing has been done to it ... accept updated software ..

I-PHONE 3g
    firmware 05.14.02
    4.1 (8b117)

Is there anything that needs to be done to get this working?

5. bella92108 macrumors 68000

3Gs and 3GSs were locked to the carriers in Canada, so you'd have to redsnow\ultrasnow to unlock it to be able to even put a US Sim card into it.

However, for those with iPhone 4 purchased at an Apple Store in Canada (like Mine), they come FACTORY UNLOCKED, so no action needed.

Sounds like for you, you'll have to jailbreak\unlock if you want to use a non-Rogers sim. Safe Travels!

6. broker21 macrumors newbie

--------------------
    Thank you. My next question ...:eek: Do you know where i can get some guidance on how to do all of this?

7. bella92108 macrumors 68000

LOL, that's always the question of the day. Look through the how-tos on here... or just go to youtube and search jailbreak iphone 3G... when I first began to jailbreak, I personally found the video demos of the whole process the easiest on my brain. Some people have a hard time following redsnow\limerain\spirit\ultrasnow... so it's easier to find a youtube video walking you through how to do it on your particular device. :)

Another good source is iclarified (google it)

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The 5.14 baseband cannot be unlocked. The only option for an unlock is to upgrade to the ipad baseband.

You can keep the 4.1 firmware which will at least allow you to have a untethered jailbreak but there are some problems with upgrading to the ipad baseband that you should understand before taking the plunge.

1. GPS will stop working
    2. You will never be able to upgrade or restore the phone normally again. You will always have to use custom firmware. It will help if you have a mac to create custom firmware.

9. broker21 macrumors newbie

Once again, thank you. I will give it a shot and check back in in a little bit.:eek: