Can I use a Custom Icon for a Mounted Volume?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NightFox, Sep 23, 2009.

1. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

I have a couple of Windows systems on my home network, and it gets a bit confusing when I've got 2 mounted volumes on my desktop both called "Users", as it's not possible to see which one relates to which PC.

Is it possible to use a custom icon for a particular volume so I can visually differentiate between the two? If so, how do I do it?

And no, changing the name of the Windows share is not an option!

Thanks

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

Do you have an image/icon you want to use? If so do this:

Click on the volumes icon on the desktop. Press Cmd+i on your keyboard. This will open the get info window.
    Open Finder and find the icon you want to use, click it, then press cmd+c on your keyboard. Go back to the get info window, click on the icon for the volum. You will see it gets a blue border around it, press cmd+v on your keyboard.

That should do it!

3. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Thanks, but...

I know that works for local folders/applications, but will it work for a network mount? I thought it used a generic icon stored locally for all mounts - it's not the generic icon I want to change, I don't want the same icon for all mounts.

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

What I have done is that I have made aliases for my network shares on the desktop, and then you can change the icons of the aliases.

5. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Ah yes, nice bit of lateral thinking. :cool:

As an aside, I can't get your method for changing icons above to work at all - when I click on the existing icon in any Get Info window, it doesn't select at all - no blue border and I can't cut, copy or paste into it (either with cmd-shortcuts or Edit->). Does this not work any more with Snow Leopard?

6. gorjan macrumors 6502

It works for me, I have done the same thing, but with the aliases. You're probably right and Mac OS can't change icons for shares. Have you tried with aliases?

7. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

My wife does it every other week with Candybar.

I mean she changes her icon themes. Not "it", you perv.