Can I use a MacBook Pro charger with a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Anijake, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

I have a Alu 2.0 MB, someone picked me up a spare charger but got the 85 watt one for the MBP. I read on the Apple store under the reviews that it is better to use the 85 watt one cause it runs cooler. I just want to confirm I can use it without any problems.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, but you can't use them the other way around.

(can't use a MacBook charger with a MacBook Pro)

3. richorlin macrumors regular

RE: Macbook Pro charger w/Macbook

The box for the 85w MBP charger clearly states "for use with Macbook Pro and Macbook".

I've been using one on my Macbook for the past several months with no porblems. As a matter of fact, I like it better than the original charger becase it uses a heavier cord.

4. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Interesting I often use my friends MBP charger on my Macbook but never tried to put his my charger into his MBP. Good to know I suppose.

So the 85W chargers work on either? new or old? MB's or MBP's

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes.
    But the MacBook Pro charger is slightly bigger.

6. gamer2502 macrumors regular

will my macbook charge faster if i buy a 85w power adapter or will it charge the same and the charger will just not get as hot

7. Hellion macrumors member

Hellion

My lady is always using my Macbook charger with her Macbook PRO and vice versa and have had NO problems yet.... over 1 year now.

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was looking for the answer to this exact question: is the MacBook Pro's 85W MacSafe power adapter compatible with the new MacBook? Well, it certainly seems it is.

To the people thinking that the MacBook's power adapter is compatible with the MacBook Pro: it both is and isn't. You can charge a MacBook Pro with it, but when it's battery has completely run out of juice, the 45W or 60W power adapter won't have enough charge to 'kick start' it back into life. Well, at least that's what I learned from reading, in search of the answer to my question concerning the MacSafe adapters. Some people even say the low wattage MacBook adapters won't charge a MacBook Pro unless it's sleeping. The bricks will keep the MacBook Pro's battery at level, but won't actually charge it when it's in use. Can't confirm this myself, so don't know if it's really true, though.

But thanks (again), Mac Rumors. Whatever question you have, the Mac Rumors people will find the answer.