Can I use a PC to install a Mac CD into my Macbook Air via Remote Disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by erutpar, Nov 26, 2013.

1. erutpar macrumors newbie

I'm running Windows Vista. I'm trying to install a CD that is Mac-only. Obviously my PC cannot read the CD, but can I use Remote Disk to install it into my macbook air?

So far I've tried following the instructions online. But, when I'm on my macbook asking my PC for permission to share the cd, it just gets stuck there. I've tried bringing down the firewall on my pc and also messing with the disk sharing settings, but nothing.

I'm beginning to think this isn't possible.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

There's no such thing as a Mac CD or a PC CD - any CD can be read by any computer. It may not understand what it's reading, of course - a Windows PC can't open a Mac dmg, but it can copy the file, etc.

4. erutpar thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I go about doing this?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

what do you mean by "install"? Is it an osx install disk or just an ordinary music CD or what?

6. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Has the windows PC cd drive been shared to the network? If so, can you see it when you "Connect to Server" from your mac? If so, what issue(s) are you seeing, exactly?

If the cd drive sharing process fails, consider copying the data from the cd to your mac (or somewhere on your network) and run the installer from there.

8. erutpar thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm installing an old program (Macromedia Flash MX for Mac). I've created the network, and found the PC computer on the network, but the Mac just get's stuck as it's asking the PC for permission to access the CD drive.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I think Macromedia Flash MX was released over 10 years ago?

In that case the disk is unlikely to work on MBA, thus you should look for more recent software options.

Might want to use a known working disk such as audio CD to test.

10. erutpar thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Why wouldn't Mac be backward-compatible with its own software? That's why I've always been a PC guy.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're running OS X 10.7 or later then it won't work; Apple removed a lot of backward-compatibility code in that version. If you're on an older release then it may still work.

You should be able to use a tool on Windows to make an image of the CD (I think WinImage can do this) and then copy that file over the network.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Surely PC is better. For example, Office 2003 does not support Winodws 8. Support ended at Vista
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8

13. erutpar thread starter macrumors newbie

But even if I make the image, if I'm running the new OS X it won't work, right? So I'm pretty much out of luck.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the program is PPC code it will not work on any recent OSx.

15. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Or any cheap external USB optical drive. $25 will save you the headache. Although admittedly, this isn't the solution you asked for but I hope you consider it. :)