Can I use a Sprint 4S on AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by soulvoid, Jan 31, 2012.

1. soulvoid, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

soulvoid macrumors member

I found a sprint iPhone 4s (no I didn't steal it) and wondering if it can be SIM unlocked to work on AT&T?

When I turned it on it was running a clean version of 5.0. No calls texts or activity of any kind. It was almost like it came out of the box and then someone lost it.

I've read that sprint might unlock it for you but have to have an account etc.

Anyone?

2. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

If you scroll thru the contacts u can probably find the owner, or at least call a few of his/her contacts and let them know u found this fone. It is really easy nowadays to find the owner, (like call sprint with the serial number), unless of course u stole it, then u wouldn't be trying to find the owner.
    So which is it?
    If u need help finding the owner, I can help you. If u need help trying to unlock a stolen fone, I cannot.

3. soulvoid thread starter macrumors member

It's empty. Like I said. No contacts, texts, calls, Internet activity nothing. If it did I would.

I'm asking for help. Not committing a crime.

4. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Why would you want to unlock it already?

Dude, no one will prosecute you if you genuialy found the phone. Who cares what people say on the web about it. It's about your own moral standing.

Want to at least try and find the person? Go to a sprint store and report that phone missing.

Wanna keep it for yourself and not bother? Go for it. And no, it can't be used on Verizon or AT&T its only unlocked for roaming in other countries and I would know is because I'm trying to get out of sprint with my full paid iPhone 4S and I wanted to use it with another domestic carrier.

5. soulvoid thread starter macrumors member

I just can't believe that there isn't a software or gevi sim unlock for the sprint versions.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

with out going into the ethics here! no you can't use a sprint phone on at&t at this time..

7. daooof macrumors regular

Put emphasis on the at this time.

If you stay on 5.0.0 there is a good chance that a 4S unlock will come out within the next few months. For more info, I'd follow @musclenerd on twitter.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Believe it.
    A CDMA iPhone is useless once reported lost or stolen.
    And can't be used as a phone with AT&T.
    When the owner calls make arrangements to return it and maybe you will get some kind of reward.

9. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

I thought he said he had 5.0 unlocked/just about, back in Dec. What's up with him, is there any latest?, (the unlock threads on this site dropped off the map)

10. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Actually you can take it to a Sprint store and they can find the person if it's activated through the ESN. Or if it ever was..

11. rman726 macrumors 6502

Yeah why not just be honest? Go to Sprint or an Apple STore and see if they can track down the original purchaser. It has a serial number. Either Sprint or Apple should have a record of it.

Just imagine for a second that you paid $300 (or hell maybe as much as $800 for an unlocked one), and lost it before you even got a chance to use it? How devastated would you be?

12. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

You can find the rightful owner any number of ways if you really wanted to.

But then again taking a look at the OP's user name pretty much says it all.

13. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Screw finding the original owner. It's a $700+ device for free.

14. soulvoid thread starter macrumors member

Which at this point is a badass iPod touch because it's useless as an iPhone at this point.

15. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Yeah just keep it. Obviously you're not gonna look for it, so..

/topic

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck trying to sell a blacklisted CDMA iPhone for that much that can just be used as an iPod touch.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Once that device is reported as lost/stolen it will get blacklisted, you will not be able to get it into any network, no even if a unlock comes later to unlock the local Carriers.

Best bet OP is to try to find the owner and hope for a free beer

18. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I know when your purchase the AT&T version of the 4S when it activates it permanently kills the CDMA radio not sure on GSM though do that thing and give it back when my brother lost his 4S the guy who found gave it back to us and we actually chipped in and helped him buy an iTouch what comes around goes around brother

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL :D, A little dramatic!!!!

It doesn't "Kill" it, it just load a different rom image so the CDMA part is disable and the PA is reconfigured, whit the proper access to the baseband it can be re-enable without much of an issue.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I guessed this wasn't about the TS trying to be honest. That's why I left out that part. Just answered and hoped he then do the right thing.

21. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

haha well you know what I mean it disabled it,Apple doesn't drag the baseband to the alley out back and beat it to death lol :p